Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,971   Online: 1005

Shooter
    Multi Format

What process...?

In the world of "alt. printing" is there a process that yields prints with black tones similar to those obtained on the '80s vintage Oriental Seagull toned in KRST (selenium)... intense (high Dmax) and somewhat on the cool side of neutral. I expect the whites will be set by the choice of papers.

I recently attended a Pd printing workshop (fun and eye-opening) and left wondering whether any of the processes will come close to my favourite silver prints. I've been through a number of my references and have been poking about on various websites but can't find an answer.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Carbon would probably be your best bet.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you are willing to consider that silver gelatin has become an 'alternative process', then perhaps you might consider making your own silver gelatin paper. Artisan paper looks and acts just like the vintage papers.

Good luck and fun whatever your process.
    d
    www.thelightfarm.com

Also, I will have a workshop at the Photographers Formulary in June. http://www.photoformulary.com/images...Ross_Paper.pdf Toot!Toot!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I would have to agree with Kerik in that you can obtain a very high Dmax with carbon. I never printed on The vintage Oriental paper you mention, but with carbon you can make infinite adjustments to achieve the blacks you are after.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Carbon transfer prints made from black tissue can easily have a reflective Dmax of over log 2.0. However, to get this kind of Dmax requires that the tissue is optimized for the DR of the negative being used and the light source.

The Dmax will be less with most other colors.

Sandy

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin