Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,471   Posts: 1,570,932   Online: 805

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Photographic etching

i am curious does anyone here do photographic etching to zinc or copper plate?
    can anyone suggest a good online resource for information about making photographic metal etchings?
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did dabble in photogravure and photopolymer plates. Preparing for that, I found no complete resources online but a very thorough book by Morrish and MacCallum.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Frizza View Post
    i am curious does anyone here do photographic etching to zinc or copper plate?
    can anyone suggest a good online resource for information about making photographic metal etchings?
    Note sure that this is helpful or not, but I know Jerry's Artarama sells photosensitive materials used for silkscreening T-shirts. Not quite sure if it's a positive or negative process.

In my dimly recalled distant past I know we used something at least similar to make silkscreens for small productions of copper circuit boards.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I did a number of "line drawings" derived from photographs by etching photosensitive circuit boards with ferrous acid. If that is something you are interested in, let me know and I can track down my notes and find the websites I used. I have upgraded my computer recently and I didn't copy the info to the new computer, but I know I have the information somewhere.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use Solarplates from Melbourne Etching Supplies (MES). Plate info from http://www.solarplate.com. Also I have found a whole bunch of info at APUG's sibling site of Hybrid Photog and another site with a printmaking forum called Wet Canvas. Also MES sells several good books on the subject. Hope this helps. Good luck & cheers! sam
    Last edited by samcomet; 03-22-2010 at 02:47 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: forgot to put in link

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You may want to check out Bostick & Sullivan's Advanced Process Forum here. Dick has sections on copper gravure and gravure tissue. I have no experience with gravure myself. I do carbon printing which is the other main focus of the site.

Dan
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin