Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,902   Posts: 1,521,133   Online: 1056

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post

I would also recommend wearing the gloves when you develop the image in warm water. Repeated dunking of your hands in warm water will wash the protective oils from your hand and may cause cracks in your skin. In the past when I did not use gloves in warm water development I would get painful fissures around my fingernails.

Sandy King
    Incidentally, a drop of super glue works really well for those cracks. I get them every winter, they really are remarkably painful.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    Incidentally, a drop of super glue works really well for those cracks. I get them every winter, they really are remarkably painful.

Colin,

Awesome tip and one that I am sure to try. Last week I had a workshop student here for three days and even using gloves my hands were in the water so much I developed several of these small fissures on both hands by the end of the workshop. As you remark, these small fissures can be very, very painful. I can remember times being in such pain that that I would rub a thick layer of cortisione cream on my hands and sleep with rubber gloves.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go to the drug store and get a product called "New Skin" liquid bandage antiseptic first aid bandage for small cuts and wounds. It comes in a brown bottle with a brush in the cap. Don't use super glue, this is the product to use, it will stay on and is skin safe.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Sandy,
    I've been there! I've tried sleeping overnight with bag balm and gloves, nothing much seems to help. This year was especially bad. A drop of superglue and pinch the cut shut and it's like it never happened, the pain disappears instantly too.

FWIW, a nurse practitioner gave me this tip, so I'm fairly sure it's safe for light cuts, but if anyone has any info to the contrary please sing out.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I said the New Skin is a product made especially for this kind of injury to the skin. I know truck mechanics who use electrical tape to close gashes on their hand and arms too, what you choose is up to you.

For a safer wound-healing glue consider Dermabond. This anti-bacterial form of the substance 2-octyl-cyanoacrylate is approved by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) for skin wound closure.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    Sandy,
    A drop of superglue and pinch the cut shut and it's like it never happened, the pain disappears instantly too.
    Actually, from what I understand this is exactly what SuperGlue was invented for -- glueing wounds. Years ago, they used the official medical grade stuff on one my boy's scalp. One of his brothers swung around my crutch (knee surgery) and caught Calder on the top of the head with the butterfly nut for adjusting the length the crutch. Had to wait for my wife to get home as I could not drive yet.

But I will have to remember this. In the summer when I go barefoot or with sandals, I can get big cracks on my heel -- painful. I'll just glue those suckers closed next time!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    As I said the New Skin is a product made especially for this kind of injury to the skin. I know truck mechanics who use electrical tape to close gashes on their hand and arms too, what you choose is up to you.

For a safer wound-healing glue consider Dermabond. This anti-bacterial form of the substance 2-octyl-cyanoacrylate is approved by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) for skin wound closure.
    Thanks, I have tried New Skin- it's more of a liquid bandage. It didn't close the cuts at all, washed off easily, stung during application and it was expensive.

For the record- the Dermabond you reference in your quote is something different altogether- that's a medical grade superglue. It looks like it's available by ER only-
    "Remember: only your doctor or other trained clinical professional can apply DERMABOND®."
    - http://www.dermabond.com/product/how-it-works.html

Vaughn, you're spot on- looks like one of the first practical applications was as field dressing in Vietnam.
    Also, here's a interesting tie in with photography-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

Discovery

Cyanoacrylates were invented in 1942 by Dr. Harry Coover and Fred Joyner of Kodak Laboratories during experiments to make a special extra-clear plastic suitable for gun sights[3]. Although not appropriate for the gun sights, they did find that cyanoacrylates would quickly glue together many materials with great strength. Seeing possibilities for a new adhesive, Kodak developed "Eastman #910" (later "Eastman 910") a few years later as the first true "super glue."

Forgive the OT sleepwalking ramble, but if it wasn't for insomnia I'd have nothing to talk about at parties! :-D
    Last edited by Colin Graham; 03-25-2010 at 07:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format

foot care

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    In the summer when I go barefoot or with sandals, I can get big cracks on my heel -- painful. I'll just glue those suckers closed next time!

Vaughn
    Vaughn,
    Get some friar's balsam and cover with Leukotape. Long summer walks just got better.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    Vaughn,
    Get some friar's balsam and cover with Leukotape. Long summer walks just got better.
    I developed two more of the painful fissures after some darkroom work a couple of days ago. I tried New Skin on one of them and Super Glue on the other.

Of the two I believe that Super Glue worked the best for this problem. The glue filled up the fissure, hardened, and did not wash off.

New Skin also worked OK, but did not dry as hard as Super Glue, and did not stay on my hand as long.

Both products stopped or relieved the pain from the fissures while they filled the crack.

Sandy King

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cdholden View Post
    Vaughn,
    Get some friar's balsam and cover with Leukotape...
    Why does this sound like Robin Hood Meets the Blob!? I'll have to check it out...but it sounds like Super Glue gets put into the various first aid kits we have!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin