Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,570   Online: 1071

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I used some strathmore drawing paper once and it was smooth but lacked dmax
    Dennis

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    my favorite papers, after cranes went sour, are arches platine and fabriano artistico hp bright white ...... both have good dmax and artistico seems esp. good for smooth tonal areas -- but artistico is a pain to presoak every sheet and then dry and flatten before you can use it..... i tried the stonehenge that dana mentioned just last week, and it looks like a good paper for a cheap price, but i'm not convinced yet -- b+s recommends using tween with it, which has the effect of sucking the solution into the paper so fast it's a challenge to brush on evenly, esp with larger negs ..... i tried it without the tween, and while i did have more time to brush the solution over the surface of the paper, it didn't soak in thoroughly (it looked great when wet, but after processing the shadows of the print had those tiny pricks of white that, to me, indicate the solution didn't thorougly spread into the fibers) ...... next time i think i'll humidify the paper a bit before coating (in lieu of tween) and maybe use a foam brush -- the risk, i guess, is abrasion of stonehenge's soft surface .... well, there's my two cents anyway
    rich
    richbergeman.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rbergeman View Post
    ...artistico is a pain to presoak every sheet and then dry and flatten before you can use it...
    Not much a trouble when done in batches. I usually do that by 40 quarter sheets (11x15"); it takes about 2 hours to soak and rinse. I then hang the sheets and flatten under weight. The papers are ready by the next evening... My favourite paper, since it's so good for gum or gumovers.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have quite a stock of Arches Platine, but it's not what I'm looking for for this series. I like the look of the Weston Diploma Parchment (old stock from B+S, not Butler Dearden) that I've been testing and the Strathmore 500 looks similar. Seems there are a few Strathmore 500 papers though (drawing, bristol etc with different finishes). I'm after something that looks more like a document, less like an artwork.

I don't have enough of the Westons left to do the series, and anything I buy will be different as the paper has changed hands since I bought my stock. It is also quite expensive by the time I get it to Australia.

I'm seriously considering some of this, although wet strength isn't great: My friend Gordon uses it a lot.
    http://www.crane.com/PrdSell.aspx?na...b.WritingPaper

Jon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I really do not see where adding tween is easier than flattening the Artistico paper
    sign up to Jerry's Artarama and they send out sales every other day...I bought rolls for $99 each...then had my framer cut it up...it might curl a bit but it is worth it; I have treated the paper in Ct. and Florida and have not had any problem printing with the paper...
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I agree that Artistico is a great and reliable choice these days. The acid treatment is no big deal if you do it in batches. And flattening is not necessary. After it's dry, I just put it in a pile and it flattens out on its own. I've been using this paper for nearly 10 years since its previous incarnation (Fabriano Uno) and it has been very consistent. Admittedly, if you want a paper that looks like Weston, this isn't it.

Jon - How much of the Weston do you need to finish your project? I bought a LOT of it when it very first came out and frankly, I don't like it much. I print large and it's too fragile and yellow for my taste.
    Kerik Kouklis
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion
    www.kerik.com
    2014 Workshop Schedule Online

Jon (Sharperstill), Strathmore 500 Plate Finish Single Ply is a very thin, extremely smooth surfaced paper that has a good reputation for Platinum/Palladium. In it's current incarnation it needs to be brush coated with a 10% solution of oxalic acid or soaked in a 5% bath before laying down emulsion. The hard surface renders incredibly sharp images with a great D-max, but the light weight might deter some printers.

-Dana

Shooter
    Large Format
    It (Strathmore) sounds interesting. I'll keep an eye out, but for my exhibition I'm either going to re-stock with Weston Dip Parch or Cranes Crest...

Thanks for all your replies and thoughts.

Sincerely,

Jon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin