Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,589   Online: 840

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Cranes Platinotype (again)

Hi all,

Photographers Formulary have new stock (as of two weeks ago) of Cranes Platinotype (Crane's 90# Cover).

Has anyone tried it? Does anyone know whether the black spot issue was fixed? It's very expensive for me to ship it to Australia, so I'm trying to get a heads up if it's a dud batch.

Jon

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Joh,
    I Have a batch as well. As I'm building a new darkroom I shall not know for a little while. What recourse do you think we have?
    Pat
    What grain............................................. ...............
    Oh sorry, I forgot you don't shoot Large Format
    Large format Pat.

http://www.largeformatpat.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It is not consistent. The paper is made in a variety of mills with different mineral content and seemingly different sizing. It is also made from recycled cotton that comes from a variety of sources. So it is a crap shoot buying it. I have on occasion called Photo Formulary to find out where they were in their batch and to get a sample pack to try before buying a bunch. The last time I did that was over a year ago and it was the worst batch I have ever tried. It didn't even come close to printing a full black. Looked to me like the sizing was all wrong. They are nice people and a sponsor of APUG but I was disappointed after being told it was a good batch and they had had no complaints, to be sent such a crap paper. I have been having better luck finding my own source for it through paper supply houses.
    Dennis

I find that Stonehenge is a great replacement for the Cranes. Stonehenge comes in a variety of colors and has a softer surface like the Cranes. It does absorb a little more solution than Arches Platine and COT-320 (my favorites), but it's still a great paper, and can be found at most American art stores. At Bostick & Sullivan, we will send anyone who asks a sample pack of all the papers that we carry: Arches Platine, Bergger COT-320, Stonehenge, Kozoshi, Lana Aqaurelle, Rives BFK, plus or minus depending on what's in stock.

If you email leigh@bostick-sullivan.com and ask her to get you a free sample pack of papers, she'll make sure the shipping department gets one out to you.

-Dana

Shooter
    Large Format
    Dana,
    Did you get my email regarding my palladium solution?

Jon

Shooter
    Large Format
    I tried Cranes #90 from PF, and it absorbed the sensitizer so quick that it left a splash mark where I poured. Couldn't brush it around quick enough to avoid the mark.
    My preference is COT 320 (from B&S, though they are currently out of stock), and I use the 11X15 for my 8X10s. I've been using Arches Platine for 7X17. Weston Diploma is OK if you don't mind the warm tone of the paper.
    Am looking for an alternative paper for the COT 320 (larger size sheets are very expensive), if anyone has suggestions.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Doug, Was this a recent batch? Say, after the 5th of Mrch 2010 or so?

Jon

Shooter
    Large Format
    Jon, I don't see any date on the package; but it would have been sometime last Fall (I believe).

Christopher James, in his Alt Photo Process book, cites several papers as recommended for alt processes. He says that Cranes doesn't work as well for iron processes as in the past (pre 2007).
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    my advice to alt printers is to buy a particular paper when you find it works well
    at one time the cranes was the best and very cheap; now it won't work at all
    my recomendation is Fabriano Artistico hp140lb.
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    does anyone have experience with Strathmore 500? And can anyone indicate exactly which Strathmore 500 has a history of being good with pt/pd printing? For instance there are several different types of Strathmore papers (drawing, charcoal etc) made in a variety of grades (500 being the highest).

I have a single sheet of this paper to try and it looks similar to the Weston Diploma Parchment in finish and colour and is 125gsm...

Jon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin