Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,018   Online: 673

Shooter
    Large Format

Woohooo....cheap pt proofing process

I just ran across a method for printing with pt, pd or pt/pd that sounded interesting and simple. I have been looking for a way to proof pt prints without the expense of using the pt/pd solutions, this is important when printing 12x20, so while looking at the alternativephotography site there is an article about satista prints.

The process sounded simple and I had the chemicals, so I gave it a shot....amazing! the prints that came out have a great tonality and the process is so simple it is a wonder nobody has mentioned before. Those of you starting might give it a try, it is simple, far simpler than kallitypes or salt prints and it might represent some savings while you get the hang of it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Jorge,

Could you please post a link to the article?

Thanks!

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JMoore
    Jorge,

Could you please post a link to the article?

Thanks!

Jim
    Here you go bubba, enjoy.....

http://www.alternativephotography.co...s_satista.html

I just made what I think is one hell of a satista print, as soon as it dries I will post it.

A few observations, this process is bleached by rapid fixer, so this tells me is not as stable as a pure pt/pd print. Sandy and I had a discussion about toning Kallitypes with pd and how the pd replaces the silver in the print. It seems we are doing the opposite here, we start with a pd print and we replace the pd with silver.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Here you go bubba, enjoy.....

http://www.alternativephotography.co...s_satista.html

A few observations, this process is bleached by rapid fixer, so this tells me is not as stable as a pure pt/pd print. Sandy and I had a discussion about toning Kallitypes with pd and how the pd replaces the silver in the print. It seems we are doing the opposite here, we start with a pd print and we replace the pd with silver.

There is also an article on Satista at http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/Tech...a+/satista.htm. Could be the same one Jorge cites above, I did not check.

I have done a fair amount of experimentation with Satista, with these comments.

1. It is in essence a silver-iron process of the same family as kallitype. The result is not a palladium or platinum print but one that consists primarily of silver metal. For permanence it must be toned. Just look at the basic formula. For an 8X10 print you use 3 drops of either palladium or platinum salt, and 1 ml of a 10% silver nitrate solution.

2. In my own working conditions I concluded that making a traditional kallitype print, and then toning with palladium or platinum, was actually less complicated than making a Satista and then toning it. And the final result is the same. Your own work habits may lead to different conclusions.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Large Format
    Ok, the image is in the experimental gallery....tell me what you think.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by sanking
    There is also an article on Satista at http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/Tech...a+/satista.htm. Could be the same one Jorge cites above, I did not check.

I have done a fair amount of experimentation with Satista, with these comments.

1. It is in essence a silver-iron process of the same family as kallitype. The result is not a palladium or platinum print but one that consists primarily of silver metal. For permanence it must be toned. Just look at the basic formula. For an 8X10 print you use 3 drops of either palladium or platinum salt, and 1 ml of a 10% silver nitrate solution.

2. In my own working conditions I concluded that making a traditional kallitype print, and then toning with palladium or platinum, was actually less complicated than making a Satista and then toning it. And the final result is the same. Your own work habits may lead to different conclusions.

Sandy King
    The article I read specifies a 4% solution, seemed to work just fine. It is really no surprise as 4% is far more silver ions that are needed to replace the pd ions in the paper.

Images
    Is it that orange in real life? It is a nice pcture.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    Is it that orange in real life? It is a nice pcture.
    Yeah, it is orange in real life. That is how it develops, if you vary the concentration of pd/pd you get different colors. I used 4 of pd and 1 of pt of this one, but you can get subtler tones. I imagine the paper and the sizing it has will also make a difference.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin