Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,520   Online: 1023

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The rule of thumb was to use a EI value equal to ISO paper speed / 100 IIRC...

This paper has a relatively higher speed than the others. Unfiltered P640 -> EI 6-7, filtered P250 -> EI 2-3. (w/ filters between 00 and 3.)

Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Try a yellow filter. It will make all the difference in latitude (but cuts the speed in half).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Some years ago I found at a surplus store several hundred sheets of single weight 20X24" Kodabromide, single weight, grade 3 and bought it for next to nothing. It seems to work nicely for making paper negatives as it prints nicely with no weave pattern. I rate it at ASA 4 and develop in D72 1:4. The base density of the paper is log 0.60 so shadow density will be a minimum of about log 0.90. This makes exposures about three stops more than film.

Dmax will get up to about log 2.9 with light objects on a sunny day so yous get a DR of about 1.8 or 1.9, which is nice for printing with a UV process that requires a contrasty negative.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Some years ago I found at a surplus store several hundred sheets of single weight 20X24" Kodabromide, single weight, grade 3 and bought it for next to nothing. It seems to work nicely for making paper negatives as it prints nicely with no weave pattern. I rate it at ASA 4 and develop in D72 1:4. The base density of the paper is log 0.60 so shadow density will be a minimum of about log 0.90. This makes exposures about three stops more than film.

Dmax will get up to about log 2.9 with light objects on a sunny day so you get a DR of about 1.8 or 1.9, which is nice for printing with a UV process that requires a contrasty negative.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Pinhole
    I use Freestyle's Arista brand grade 2 paper, rate it at EI=12, with the caveat that the developer be freshly mixed at 1:15 at 68f, and I also perform a slight preflash.

For daylight exposures the EI=12 recommendation with this paper works out pretty linearly, from bright sunny exposures to deeply shaded, regardless of whether the camera has a f/300 pinhole or a f/8 glass lens.

Where the metering gets wonky is indoor, incandescent lit still-lifes, where there's very little blue/UV in the light source, thus the light source's spectrum doesn't match the paper's response curve very well, and my handheld meter is full-spectrum sensitivity. I've thought of placing some sort of blue filter over the meter and doing a set of calibration tests under incandescent lighting.

~Joe

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin