Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,932   Posts: 1,585,459   Online: 1053

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    I'd eventually love to do 8x10 pt/pd prints, but I think I'm going to start with 4x5 while I am honing my craft
    hi!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Jorge:

I guess I would like to hear more details about this brush you are talking about. I have been using Hake brushes.

Ray Bidegain

Images
    I am having cutting and pasting issues today! here is the link to the brush I was askign about.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/madisona.../90wabrsa.html
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Bidegain
    Jorge:

I guess I would like to hear more details about this brush you are talking about. I have been using Hake brushes.

Ray Bidegain
    It is a brush with synthetic bristles, you wet it, shake a few times and it spreads the solution on the paper without absorbing any of the solution. It is really cool, I started with Hake brushes and let me tell you, the difference is like night and day. I strongly recommend you get it. Cheap Joe seems to have the best price.

From what I understand it is designed for watercolor painters to spread the water on their paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cheap Joe's does have the best price and they also have a very competitive price (not sure if it's the best) on the Winsor & Newton watercolors that you can use to spot pt/pd. Buy it all at once and don't pay shipping twice! The only downside to Cheap Joe's is that the largest Richeson 9010 they carry and sell is the 2" brush.

Jorge, I wouldn't say that my brush strokes are uneven, just unpracticed
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    What is the age of your FO? FO#1 is my usual suspect when things go bad.

The other thing to consider is the amount of sensitizer on the paper. Strangely enough, I have had poor results when I am using too much sensitizer. The evidence of this is that the paper has a metallic, shiny look to it. If I remember correctly, too much sensitizer "bridges" across the fibers and you get too much metal on the paper surface, thus it looks shiny. This happened to me around the edges of the image, because that is where the sensitizer was coated more.

I humidify the paper prior to coating and again before printing. I still use a coating rod. It works for me.

The temperature of the Potassium Oxalate developer is not an issue. I normally use it between 95 and 100 degrees F.

Learning hand coating does take practice. As you go along, you must take notes on what you have done. It's a science experiment for sure. So, you have to take notes to know what you have done and figure out what variables can be experimented with. Since it is your money being spent on this, you see how important it is to make sure that you develop consistent craft and procedures.

Keep at it, you will find out how to handle this process.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    This is for what size Mateo? I see solarizing when I use only one coat, as I use only 8 drops FO, 7 drops pd and 2 pt.
    Good luck....
    I keep promising myself to learn the 'chemistry' behind pt/pd printing, but until then, I have always been under the assumption that the total drop count of the salts should equal the total for the ferric. I have been single coating, 15 fo, 15 pd or 15 fo 14 pd 1 pt. I will try increasing the pt, but Jorge, is there a point of diminishing returns? What is the advantage of more salt than ferric? Doesn't some of the metal salts not reduce in this case? Thanks. ...lyle

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lallan
    I keep promising myself to learn the 'chemistry' behind pt/pd printing, but until then, I have always been under the assumption that the total drop count of the salts should equal the total for the ferric. I have been single coating, 15 fo, 15 pd or 15 fo 14 pd 1 pt. I will try increasing the pt, but Jorge, is there a point of diminishing returns? What is the advantage of more salt than ferric? Doesn't some of the metal salts not reduce in this case? Thanks. ...lyle
    Lallan, in my case it is not science, it is more like rumors. I had read in the B&S web site that too much sensitizer caused mottling and it was a problem I was having, so I tried reducing the amount of sensitize and it worked for me.

Joe above has a good explanation for not using too much sensitizer, I do see that metallic "sheen" sometimes when the print is dry. I did not know it was because of too much FO, learn something new everyday!

In any case, dont be afraid to take off 2 or 3 drops of FO, more than that I would not try. Besides, FO is cheap compared to pt or pd.....so back off only to improve your print, not to save on it.

Hope this helps.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I may have lead some folks astray here. When I talked of too much sensitizer, I meant the entire combined solution of FO#1, NA2 and Pt/Pd. If there are too many metallic salts in the total sensitizer volume you may get the shiny metallic finish where there is too much solution put on the paper.

Hope that clears things up.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have one more question about the magic brush, how long does it take to be ready to use again. My main complaint about the hake has been waiting till i'ts dry to use again.

Ray

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin