Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,697   Posts: 1,549,095   Online: 1125

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Sources for KCN for wet plate

I read on Quinn's collodion forum that Chemsavers will be discontinuing the sale of KCN when current stocks run out. I am going to try to place an order later today.

From what I can find on the web, Chemsavers was the only source for small qty purchases of KCN. Anyone know of any other sources or should I plan on doing wet plate without KCN when my stock runs out?

Yes I know you can use various hypos/rapid fixers, but KCN does produce brighter highlights.

I am also aware that "platers" grade KCN can be used and we have a plater in town but they are not willing to sell any to an individual.

Any other sources you know about?
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I just broke down and ordered a few pounds from Chemsavers. I had been looking to find some cheaper platers grade KCN, but finding it in any reasonable quantity is very difficult. After trying, hypo, rapid fix, and KCN--I agree KCN is superior for tins and ambros. I used TF-5 last night at 2X the normal film concentration; it worked ok, but as you say, the highlights are brighter with KCN.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Chemsavers is where I got my last batch. Looks like I better order more...

Ash

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin