Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,419   Online: 861
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bezerkeley, CA
    Posts
    92
    Images
    1

    what kind of UV lights BLB, BL or HID?

    In a recent move I broke most of my BLB(black light) lights. I've used the BLB's for a couple years now and wonder what lights others are using and why. The white lights are way cheaper than the BLB's. I print in many different processes but plan to concentrate on Ziatype for now. I'm also thinking about getting an HID unit and wonder if its a better option? I will be printing up to 11X14. Thanks.

    Happy Days
    You can't be lost if you don't care where you are.

  2. #2
    Joe Lipka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Cary, North Carolina
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    809
    Go here: http://unblinkingeye.com/

    Sandy King has an exhaustive article on black light bulbs, which you should choose and why.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

    www.joelipkaphoto.com

    250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

    http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bezerkeley, CA
    Posts
    92
    Images
    1
    Thanks Joe,

    I have read the article and should have said that(sorry) but I was hoping for some opinions of what people prefer for their own work, working conditions and work flow. As the day goes by I'm thinking harder and harder about the HID and now wonder what others that use these think and maybe what the pros and cons are VS a box unit with tubes?

    Happy Days
    You can't be lost if you don't care where you are.

  4. #4
    Jon King's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    360
    Images
    14
    I have just started with cyanotypes(30-40 printings so far), and I can recommend that you don't try the 175W Mercury Vapor lamps. Their advantage is that they are inexpensive (<$30 for lamp and fixture at Home Depot), but the UV output must be abysmal. My exposure times are 1-3 minutes in sunlight, and 3-6 HOURS! under the MV lamp. In his article, Sandy King mentions that they are "slow", but that is understating it a bit. The higher power units apparently have significantly more UV output, but my next step is to build a bank of fluorescents, and try BL bulbs.

  5. #5
    Joe Lipka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Cary, North Carolina
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    809
    I just replaced all the original bulbs from my Palladio Company UV light box. Every decade or so, you should replace them 8)

    Used F15T8BL bulbs as a direct replacement for the bulbs that came with the unit. Normal time for TMAX 400 sheet film was between 5 and 15 minutes. Digital negatives on lith film are 2 minutes, 2 seconds.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

    www.joelipkaphoto.com

    250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

    http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by shinn
    Thanks Joe,

    I was hoping for some opinions of what people prefer for their own work, working conditions and work flow. As the day goes by I'm thinking harder and harder about the HID and now wonder what others that use these think and maybe what the pros and cons are VS a box unit with tubes?

    Happy Days
    At this time I am using both a bank of twelve 48" BLB tubes (with vacuum easel and light integrator) and a NuArc 26-IK plateburner. I previously used a 1000 watt metal halide light, also with vaccum easel and light integrator.

    These are my opinions about working with these three light.

    1. Printing speed --The bank of BLB tubes prints faster than the other two light, by about 1/2 stop. BL tubes (or SA for Pt/Pd would print even faster. I bought the NuArc to replace the 1000 watt HID expecting that the former would print faster than the latter, but it did not, at least not when the bulbs are placed at the same distance from the printing easel.

    2. Contrast -- Very little difference between the three lights, either with colloid processes or Pt/Pd.

    3. Sharpness -- The HID light and the NuArc 26-IK have a slight edge in sharpness when you test for it, but in practice offer little or no practical advantage over the UV bank of tubes (if you use a vacuum frame). Of course, both vacuum frame as well as light integrator are integral to the NuArc 26-1K.

    4. Ease of use -- For me there is very little practical difference in ease of use between the NuArc 26-1K and my UV bank. If there is any at all it must be on the side of the UV bank because I tend to use it more than the NuArc.

    Bottom line -- All three lights are equally useful so the main question is which is easier or least expensive for you to set up?

    Sandy King

  7. #7
    Ole
    Ole is offline
    Ole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Bergen, Norway
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    9,281
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by jking
    I have just started with cyanotypes(30-40 printings so far), and I can recommend that you don't try the 175W Mercury Vapor lamps. Their advantage is that they are inexpensive (<$30 for lamp and fixture at Home Depot), but the UV output must be abysmal. My exposure times are 1-3 minutes in sunlight, and 3-6 HOURS! under the MV lamp. In his article, Sandy King mentions that they are "slow", but that is understating it a bit. The higher power units apparently have significantly more UV output, but my next step is to build a bank of fluorescents, and try BL bulbs.
    I'm using a 125W Mercury Discharge lamp, and get times from 12-20 minutes for cyanotypes, 15-30 for van Dyke. All compared to 2-5 minutes in sunlight - which I don't get too much of around here.

    Obviously YMMV...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bezerkeley, CA
    Posts
    92
    Images
    1
    Thanks everyone

    I'm gonna go with the BL's for now, and in the meantime do some more research on the HID setup. What is the difference between Mercury Vapor and Mercury Discharge? Ole's time's are reasonable(and close to mine with BLB's) but with a lower wattage lamp than what jking's using, whose times seem long.

    I'm looking into this because in the sun (inconsistent from day to day) I can dodge and burn some whereas in a UV box I really can't accomplish it with out increasing the distance between my neg and lights which would cause me to stand there for toooo long. Those of you who use HID's do you find it possible to dodge and burn at all better/easier or am I wasting my time with switching?


    Happy Days
    You can't be lost if you don't care where you are.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,813
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by shinn
    Thanks everyone


    I'm looking into this because in the sun (inconsistent from day to day) I can dodge and burn some whereas in a UV box I really can't accomplish it with out increasing the distance between my neg and lights which would cause me to stand there for toooo long. Those of you who use HID's do you find it possible to dodge and burn at all better/easier or am I wasting my time with switching?


    Happy Days
    Have you considered looking for a platemaker such as the NuArc 261K on ebay? The going price of used NuArc 26-1k platemakers appears to be from about $400 to $700, and at the lower end of the price range such a unit, which comes with vacuum easel and light integrator, would cost less than putting together a new 1000 watt HID Luminaire unit, where you would require a separate vacuum easel and integrator.

    Dodging is very easy with the NuArc and HID units (but use UV googles to shield your eyes), but in fact it is only slightly more complicated with a bank of UV tubes.

    Sandy

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Bezerkeley, CA
    Posts
    92
    Images
    1
    Thanks Sandy that's a good idea I'm definately gonna look into it. I'm not using a vacuum frame at this time and have been looking at them since I'm moving towards making bigger prints now.

    Happy Days
    You can't be lost if you don't care where you are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin