Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,857   Online: 996

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ferric Oxalate

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Ferric Oxalate

I was wondering whether members using this chemical for their alt.process printing make it or buy it in for the sheer convenience and reliability of purity.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    35mm
    I was planning to buy it when I move on from doing Vandyke Browns, but I'm not ready to move on yet. However 'buying it' doesn't seem to be an easy option in the UK! Do you have a supplier in mind; IIRC I couldn't find one.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Roy & Mike.
    It is some time since I was in alternative process mode but for whats it's worth it was always used ready made. I had a very sympathetic chemist at the time so no problems in getting it fresh. You will know that the shelf life is quite limited about three months, so it is always necessary to make a test strip. It should be mixed at least 12 hour before use. Another very friendly chemist that you probably know of is, Dr Mike Ware at www.mikeware.demon.co.uk. Best wishes.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I just tried my first alternative process print last weekend and it worked great. I did a Ziatype. I bought the kit from Bostick & Sullivan in NM. (I know, not UK, but that's where I got it nevertheless).
    Diane

Halak 41

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Diane, are you going to post it into the gallery ? Glad you achieved a good result.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=Stan. L-B] so no problems in getting it fresh.

It is possible to make it yourself but I suspect that unless you want to put yourself to the test, ready made would be more convenient and reliable. I was just wondering whether many people bothered to make it. I know that Mike Ware has evolved some "safer" systems so perhaps I shall read his articles to see what chemicals he uses.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Large Format

Ferric Oxalate

The ferric oxalate lasts a long time in powder form. After it's mixed it starts to degrade, if that's the right word to use, but even then it lasts a good while if kept in a cool dark place. I purchase the dry powder and mix a small amount a day or two before I plan on printing. Never had a problem with quality of ferric oxalate purchased from Bostick&Sullivan.
    William Blunt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it's $8 for 25mL of Ferric Oxalate from Bostick & Sullivan in a dry powder. This dry powder comes in a amber glass bottle; just add water and a dropper and you're ready to go! I'm lazy so I'll probably just order my Ferric in 25 or 50mL amounts (depending on how much time I have to print in ~2 months) so that I don't have to measure anything out.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Roy: in "Making Kallitypes" by Dick Stevens, he recommends making your own and I asked Sandy King about that and he recommended just mixing your own and using it within a couple of months. Now I mix up one half of the FO instead a full batch so it never gets too old.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by philsweeney
    Now I mix up one half of the FO instead a full batch so it never gets too old.
    I assume then, that you buy it in. Do you get it from B&S ?
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin