Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,824   Online: 960

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What Process is This?

Just wondering what process was used to make this image.....

http://www.photo-helios.org/pages_me...s/ericace.html

Also wondering if the process is adaptable to B&W .....does anyone know of any workshops.

Cheers & Thanks,
    Annie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    polaroid transfer? Just on a thinner paper than usual.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    polaroid emulsion (wet) transfer.

there is dry transfer where the dyes are transferred from the polaroid material to paper during development.

in this case the emulsion is lifted off the image/film base by soaking it in a hot water bath and then the paper is slid under the floating emulsion and lifted out of the water bath

info on the polaroid wbsite site about emulsion transfers

info on the polaroid website on dry/image transfers

Great... no workshop required! I'll give some 8x10 a try.

Thanks, Annie

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    8x10 polaroid requires specific equipment to 'develop' the film.

you can find it on eBay, but it is more complicated than just having a 'bigger' verison of the 4x5 polaroid back.

I am aware that the process requires a processor and a special holder for the film. What is the nature of the complications as opposed to using 4x5 materials.... are the emulsions different and not as suitable to the process?

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    the difference has to do with the need for the film holder and processor. It is not a question of emulsions or suitability. I am sure this is what John meant. Some people are not aware that the film is developed in this manner

Polarid lifts are a little more tricky than a transfer as you are handling a very thin, wet piece of "film"; however as with everything else it just takes practice. Some prefer to use the larger size as you have a larger surface .

A very good reference for Polarid processes is a book by Kathleen Carr called Polarid Masnipulations. She covers all types of techniques. There are several others on the market as well; i just like hers .

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    That looks like like an emulsion transfer or lift. http://www.polaroid.com/ has info. I've had a go with 5 x 4. Other than a polaroid back, a tray of very hot water and something to float the emulsion onto I don't think you need much else. It's a bit hit and miss though but can give unique and stunning images. Certainly well worth a pop. I'd try with 5 x 4 first, it's expensive.
    ~John~
    --------------------------
    www.johnbrewerphotography.com
    There are 10 types of people in this world - those who understand binary and those who don't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can 2nd the referral for Ms. Carr's book. Have it and used it for Polaroid transfers, never tried the emulsion transfer though..but the book is excellent..If I recall she has fairly new one out. Her web site is www.kathleencarr.com give it look. These are a lot of fun.
    Mike C

Rambles

Thanks Ann,

I will order in Carr's book as well as one by Christopher Grey, that should get me started. I also found the Polaroid manual for 8x10 on-line and I think you are correct about John's post as there are different steps to producing the positive that I was not aware of. My assumption now is that once I have a positive the process is the same for all formats.... Thanks again everyone.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin