Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,768   Posts: 1,484,204   Online: 849

Shooter
    Medium Format

sodium acetate as a developer anhydrous or trihydrate?

Hey guys

I want to use sodium acetate as a developer for kallitypes. I live in the uk and the only cheap sodium acetate i can get is the trihydrate stuff. what is the difference between the anhydrous and the trihydrate sodium acetate? and can i use the trihydrate?

thanks

matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Matt, just the molecular mass differs between them; anhydrous = 82g / mole, trihydrate = 136g / mole.

If your formula calls 350g "anhydrous" sodium acetate per liter but you have trihydrate on hands, then:

136g (trihydrate) / 82 g (anhydrous) * 350g (anhydrous equiv.) = use 580g (trihydrate equiv.)

Hope this helps,
    Loris.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Trihydrate is hydrated.

I imagine you would need to use more of it in a recipe that asks for anhydronous as above.

You should be able to heat it up to dehydrate it, though unecessary, you can also make it with bicarb + vinegar (trihydrate).

Silverprint sells sodium acetate in the anhydronous form for about 15 pounds if you really want it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for that info guys. I had seen the anhydrous stuff on the silverprint website but compared to the trihydrate on eBay it's very expensive so I shall give it a go with the trihydrate and report back.

Many thanks

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin