Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,146   Online: 1119

Shooter
    Multi Format

optical printing versus Epson v700/750 help

Hello all, I apologize if this post is in the wrong area, but I tried to get it in the Grey Area subforum.

My question is this: How do traditional optical RA prints from a MF or 4x5 negative compare to negatives scanned in an Epson v700/v750 and then printed on an inkjet printer? Let's say the final print is 16x20.

I currently use a Super Chromega Dichro and I am considering purchasing the V700/V750. I'm a high school teacher so Imacon scanners are way out of my budget. I'm not sure if this subject has been covered ad nausem, but I've scoured this site and the entire information superhighway and could not find an answer.

Any thoughts or help would be much appreciated. Furthermore, I'd love to hear from somebody who has experience with both.

Thank you,
    Scarletbegonias

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IMO, dont bother with scanning. There is nothing that can compare to a print made on a silver(or other precious metal)impregnated emulsion on a high quality fiber base paper.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Scarlet, Before you get a stream of comments about how apug is the wrong site to ask this question (due to the digital referencees), I suggest you would best get your answer from the sister site Hybrid.com...you will finid a link on the home page. You will also get a far better answer from people experienced in the use of scanning with a probably more moderate and fair assessment of the comparison! Rgds, Kal
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The answer will depend on who you ask. A digital printer will say digital is best but a darkroom printer knows the truth is that optical prints are best.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hybridphoto.com is the place to ask this question. On the simple level of is the Epson a good scanner?, yes. The V750 is a great scanner - I have one and am very happy with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a link... the Grey Area subforums are now Hybrid Photo, our sister site. Your question is best addressed there.

http://www.hybridphoto.com/forums/home.php

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin