Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,767   Posts: 1,516,444   Online: 930

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    This might help prevent the shrinking with the paper. Which to tell you the truth is the reason I have not tried gum overs yet.
    Jorge,

If you use Fabriano Artistico Extra White HP for gum over platinum, you should not have any registration problems. The oxalic acid presoak before the platinum layer (if this is a PITA, maybe you should take up digital printing - KIDDING!) will give a bit of a pre-shrink. The other 2 key steps for getting good registration are:

1) Make sure you dry your platinum-coated paper very well before you expose it. This way, the paper will be as small as possible before you make the platinum print. You may not get quite as rich a platinum print as you would with a little moisture in the paper, but the subsequent gum coat(s) will more than make up for it.

2) Don't use very hot potassium oxalate when you develop the platinum layer. I usually use it at ~80 degr. F (although I use it MUCH hotter if I'm not doing gum over). You won't get as warm a print, but again, the gum layer(s) will be in control of your final print color, not the platinum layer.

(BTW, I also have yet to see a platinum over gum print that is even in the same league with gum over platinums.)

It's all really pretty quick and easy once you get a rhythm going, and the prints are SO MUCH nicer than straight pt/pd, how can you NOT do it?

Good luck!
    Kerik
    www.kerik.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    The oxalic acid presoak before the platinum layer (if this is a PITA, maybe you should take up digital printing - KIDDING!)

Them are fighting words kerik...lol..

Thank you very much for your advice, like you I like the PO at room temperature, so I will try and get this paper and give it a shot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shinn
    Is Dan Burkholder making PT prints over inkjet?

Is this right?: coat your gum/dichromate, expose but not processing it and then recoating it with PT/PD then processing? I Definately worth trying.
    I always dry the paper after each step. Dry the pt/pd, size the print, dry again, and then do each gum layer, drying in between.

Quote Originally Posted by shinn
    As far as shrinking paper, I do it at home while cooking or drinking a beer(s) watching tv. BFK rives, 6-8 sheets at a time. I do this three times: Hot water soak for 2 hours and dry over night, then I size and harden them all at once as well. Now though my third soak will be in Oxalic acid if I plan for gum over. (I'm not sure that I need the oxalic for Ziatype though)
    Try the Fabriano Extra White Hot press - no pre-shrinking, only a 5 minute 1% oxalic acid soak and dry cycle is needed. It registers perfectly (at least up to the 12x20s I am doing)

It's all great fun. Strangely enough, the more prints you do, the better you seem to get. Funny, that.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan

Terry King Article in current View Camera

I just received my copy of View Camera today and it will be interesting to read Terry King's article on platinum over gum, however FWIW after quickly thumbing through the article and taking a glance at the example print illustrations I can say that I don't think that King's work has the vitality and depth of the prints that Stuart Melvin, Kerik, and Stan Klemec <sp?> have shown in their gum over work. And to be honest I didn't think his work shown at APIS last year was as impressive as I had expected. I'm not trying to sound critical but just expressing my comparative take on the work shown at APIS and the different styles of of printing.

I guess I really need to get off my butt and try gum printing and gum overs.

Don Bryant

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin