Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,635   Online: 788

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did some searching and you're right, my local Arts Center has a printing program and not to mention the University of Kansas here in Lawrence. So perhaps I can get access to a press down the road.

However, I probably need to learn more about printing in general before going much further. What are some of the seminal books about print making? Something that explains all the different methods, the equipment, the terminology, historical considerations, etc. Any recommendations?

In the meantime, I think I could play around with photopolymer and have a ball! Is exposing via sunlight too finicky? Perhaps I could build a cheap UV box, there are lots of tutorials online.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'd go with the sunlight personally. I tried the tutorials and materials from cape fear press which was a good starting point. Perhaps I will try again in the future. If anyone is in NH, the institute of art in Manchester has a fantastic photogravure book called Egypt in their special collections. Absolute stunning.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unfortunately, I have no books to suggest, but there are many out there worth having. I did a lot of printmaking in college and then I took a workshop at a local museum in printmaking using photographic plates. I use a "facial tanning lamp" bought from ebay for $25 and installed in a very simple wooden box which gives me about 5" of space above the plate glass that holds down my positive and printing plate. Exposures are in the 40 second range and then about 100 seconds with the stochastic screen. There is a hardening exposure necessary after the wash, for which I use sunlight whenever possible, but I like the control that an electric light source gives me for initial exposure - sunlight can vary greatly from time to time and I din't trust my light meter enough to keep risking plates. At about $10 a shot for an 8x10 exposure, I need to plan a bit more carefully.

Look for a local workshop in printmaking. You'll learn a lot from the other printmakers as well as from the teacher and have access to the press a the same time.

Shooter
    Multi Format

There are fine books around about photopolymer gravure too. (See books from European / Scandinavian writers...)

In any case you'll need access to (1) a reliable point lightsource with a vacuum frame (= platemaker) and (2) a fine etching press to make high quality photogravure prints... (Plus, lots of work / practice - for instance, inking is an art itself...)
    Last edited by Loris Medici; 06-10-2010 at 03:20 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added something more...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin