Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,990   Posts: 1,524,158   Online: 1085

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I tried brushing last night and like the control and less sloppiness you have. Would using less water and more alcohol dry faster? I use the 1:1 ratio of water to alcohol. Living here in Florida, my darkroom does not have hot water and of course cold water is non existing. So bags of ice and two microwaves to heat the water. It maybe easier to just keep doing pt/pl. I buy my transfer tissue from B&S so my chose of color is limited. I'm sure as time goes on I will do more. I just finished printing, mounting,matting and framimg 60 prints for my show that opened June 4th so I'm tired. I'm doing this print for the gallery which is having a open artist show next month. So I'm using the brown that B&S sells for this print I want to submit for the show. If I ever have time and $ I need to take a workshop.
    I thank you all for your response.
    Mike
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by michael9793 View Post
    I tried brushing last night and like the control and less sloppiness you have. Would using less water and more alcohol dry faster? I use the 1:1 ratio of water to alcohol. Living here in Florida, my darkroom does not have hot water and of course cold water is non existing. So bags of ice and two microwaves to heat the water. It maybe easier to just keep doing pt/pl. I buy my transfer tissue from B&S so my chose of color is limited. I'm sure as time goes on I will do more. I just finished printing, mounting,matting and framimg 60 prints for my show that opened June 4th so I'm tired. I'm doing this print for the gallery which is having a open artist show next month. So I'm using the brown that B&S sells for this print I want to submit for the show. If I ever have time and $ I need to take a workshop.
    I thank you all for your response.
    Mike
    If you dilute the dichromate solution with alcohol 1:2 it will dry faster than diluted 1:1. It will also dry faster mixed 1:1 with acetone.

A lot of cool water (65F or less) is very useful when printing with carbon. In the summer here at my home in South Carolina the water temperatures are in the 75-77F range and this complicates printing quite a bit. RH in the house is also fairly how this time of year, which also complicates printing because the tissue takes longer to dry. Because of this I print more with the iron processes (kallitype, pt/pd and vankey) in the summer months. These processes love high RH and warm temperatures.

Sandy King

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I also have followed Sandy's recommendation on coating with acetone and waiting between coats as he and Vaughn have said. Here is something I've wanted to ask for a while. Can one use two different dichromate strengths on the same image? By this I mean I have an image that has an area that needs a low strength and one that needs a higher strength to give more or less contrast to the final print. The areas are almost evenly split in the image and it will be easy to coat the tissue with this "split coating". I just was curious if anyone has tried this? I'll report my findings. I hope to start printing again tomorrow.

Jim

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Jim -- don't see why one could not work that way. The differently sensitized parts of the tissue would have slightly different printing speeds -- one might need to burn in the section sensitized with a lower concentration.

When brush sensitizing with Acetone 1:2, the evaporation of the acetone cools the tissue down nicely if the room is warm.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Jim -- don't see why one could not work that way. The differently sensitized parts of the tissue would have slightly different printing speeds -- one might need to burn in the section sensitized with a lower concentration.

When brush sensitizing with Acetone 1:2, the evaporation of the acetone cools the tissue down nicely if the room is warm.
    Vaughn, my carbon brother thanks for confirming my ideas. Not a lot of motivation to print right now so I'll let you know how it turns out when I get there. Happy fathers day to you.

Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin