Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,952   Posts: 1,557,967   Online: 1038

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Life of Chemicals

Has anyone here done much work with Ziatypes from B&S? Reason I ask, is I had one of the small kits that I did some work with last summer, then got caught up with several other things and yesterday, decided to pull it out a try some more printing. The Lithium Palladium Sol. (No. 3) had turned a dark brown (which may the color it was when it arrived, do not remember) and the Ammonium Ferric Oxalate Sol. (No. 1) was light green - do not remember what it looked like either.

Went ahead a mixed some up and coated some paper (cream to light brown surface) and exposed a negative - took maybe 5 minutes in Texas sun.

Any thoughts?
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The palladium is just a noble metal in solution, so it won't go bad. The Ferric Oxalate is supposed to be good in solution for only up to 6 months max. This is what the information sheet from B&S says.
    Last edited by Jeremy; 07-19-2004 at 09:35 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added source of information
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Has anyone here done much work with Ziatypes from B&S? Reason I ask, is I had one of the small kits that I did some work with last summer, then got caught up with several other things and yesterday, decided to pull it out a try some more printing. The Lithium Palladium Sol. (No. 3) had turned a dark brown (which may the color it was when it arrived, do not remember) and the Ammonium Ferric Oxalate Sol. (No. 1) was light green - do not remember what it looked like either.

Went ahead a mixed some up and coated some paper (cream to light brown surface) and exposed a negative - took maybe 5 minutes in Texas sun.

Any thoughts?
    Mike,

Those are the normal colors for those chemicals. The palladium should be fine indefinitely as long as you don't contaminate it. The Ferric is on the old side, but if works well and you see no indications of fogging, then go ahead and use it.

Kerik

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Kerik,

Good to hear from you. Thanks for the input, thought the palladium should be OK, but was not sure about the Ferric. How was your Houston show?
    Mike C

Rambles

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin