Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,405   Online: 1104

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Platinum Dmax

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Platinum Dmax

One for the Pt/Pd obsessives...

What's the highest Dmax you can consistently achieve with your platinum/palladium prints?

I can get to about 1.39 with a 2:1 mix of Pt and Pd, and I think I can probably squeeze out a few more ounces of black now that I've built a new printing rig. (Paper white for my paper is about 0.12 if that's relevant.)

That's a pretty convincing black, but I suspect blacker blacks are possible.

What's your blackest Pt/Pd black?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a print with a 1.8 dmax that is pure palladium on waxed vellum.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Clay, that means the unwaxed print had a dmax around log 1.5 - 1.6 right? (I think closer to the latter...???) I was using hydrocote polyshield satin few years ago and it was giving me an extra log 0.2 - 0.3...

Regards,
    Loris.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, probably about 1.5 without the wax. Best Dmax in my experience is on smooth paper, with generous coating or double coating and printed in nice humid conditions of around 50%.(which we have no shortage of in Houston in the summer)
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I cannot speak for Pt/Pd specifically but due to the limitations of paper prints and internal reflections, most all glossy paper prints are limited to a maximum density of 2.2 or less. Matte is lower, about 1.9 or less.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    PE, to my knowing, matte alt. process prints won't give something above log 1.6. (Without any surface treatment, that is...) Perhaps your figure is for matte s/g paper? Plus, I've seen inkjet prints on special glossy papers with log 2.4 density!?

Regards,
    Loris.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Interesting comments about the difference between matte and glossy surfaces. I was vaguely aware of this but hadn't realised that it also applied to platinum (although with hindsight it's obvious!). I work with very matte paper - and it's rough too. This gives a beautiful and rich appearance, but clearly reduces the potential Dmax.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loris Medici View Post
    PE, to my knowing, matte alt. process prints won't give something above log 1.6. (Without any surface treatment, that is...) Perhaps your figure is for matte s/g paper? Plus, I've seen inkjet prints on special glossy papers with log 2.4 density!?

Regards,
    Loris.
    Loris;

The Dmax varies with normal coated materials based on the presence of an overcoat and how absorbent the fibers of the paper are. It also depends on the presence or absence of some sort of subbing such as baryta.

So, the figures I gave were ballpark and maximum for hand or machine coated materials. My own coatings, without overcoats and on Strathmore Smooth only achieve about 1.9.

I have seen reflection prints with a Dmax of 3.0, but this was when tricks were played with overcoats and internal "reflecting" materials such as silicon "chips". This is somewhat the case with digital papers which if you notice, appear to be much more transparent when held up to the light than photographic papers due to some of those "tricks".

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dear PE,

Thanks for the clarification. But then, your coatings are s/g emulsion right? These would naturally exceed alt process prints - done on plain paper - in terms of dmax... In case of s/g emulsion (or albumen) the image isn't "in" the paper, it sits "on" the paper inside a binder. Therefore, figures for s/g emulsion aren't comparable for pt/pd and such. I'm not sure if could get log 1.9 on plain paper (suitable for iron processes) even with sumi-e ink...

Regards,
    Loris.

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    So, the figures I gave were ballpark and maximum for hand or machine coated materials. My own coatings, without overcoats and on Strathmore Smooth only achieve about 1.9.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Loris Medici View Post
    Dear PE,

Thanks for the clarification. But then, your coatings are s/g emulsion right? These would naturally exceed alt process prints - done on plain paper - in terms of dmax... In case of s/g emulsion (or albumen) the image isn't "in" the paper, it sits "on" the paper inside a binder. Therefore, figures for s/g emulsion aren't comparable for pt/pd and such. I'm not sure if could get log 1.9 on plain paper (suitable for iron processes) even with sumi-e ink...

Regards,
    Loris.
    Loris;

S/G as you call it () actually sits more on the surface than platinum. You are correct. In fact, David Goldfarb posted some non-gelatin alternate prints here done with great enlargement of the scan. It was shown that the image sank down within the fibers of the paper as well as staying on top, and this apparently had an effect on both Dmax and on sharpness.

You see, gelatin, as a binder, acts as a thickener and barrier to help reduce movement of the imaging material into the paper. OTOH, Pt/Pd in water can sink easily into paper. So, placing Pt/Pd in gelatin or some binder would change this. Unfortunately, I have not been able to try this as the Pt/Pd medium reacts with gelatin.

Of course, sizing changes this drastically. So a gelatin undercoat and/or use of baryta paper might increase dmax of Pt/Pd.

But, I have seen Baryta and gelatin both increase and decrease Dmax of Cyanotypes. There is a lot of work needed to find the best concentration of the ingredients to give any sort of improvement.

Unfortunately, without using "tricks", you are stuck with a low Dmax with Pt/Pd, but then the long shoulder gives you wonderful depth into shadows.

PE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin