Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,342   Online: 804
      
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,530

    So what did I learn?

    Well, Jim Shanesy sent me a negative and an azo print to compare to a pt/pd print made from the same negative.

    I posted both prints so you all can get an idea of the differences. All in all, comparing an azo or silver print and a pt/pd print is an exercise in futility. Both have very different feel, coupled with the photographer's interpretation of the negative, it is useless to say what is better. Of course I am partial to the pt/pd print, but I imagine how many would like the feel of the azo print better.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,576
    Images
    27
    Jorge, I think that you would have to have a sperate negative to compare these two prints fairly, one for the AZO and one pt/pd. Don't see any reason to determine which is best, each one has appeal. Some of your own posting would not look as good in sliver as they do pt/pd, plus for me there are some images that cry to have pt/pd look others really do look better in silver (some of them cry out to be toned) it just goes on and on and on.

    Thanks for sharing ....
    Mike C

    Rambles

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    696
    Images
    21
    So what did you learn Jorge? It sounds like you learned that no two processes can be compared directly. A good lesson, I'd say. I'll keep it in mind.

    Cheers,
    Graeme Hird
    www.scenebyhird.com

    Failure is NOT an option! It comes bundled with your software ....

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,530
    Quote Originally Posted by photomc
    Jorge, I think that you would have to have a sperate negative to compare these two prints fairly, one for the AZO and one pt/pd. Don't see any reason to determine which is best, each one has appeal. Some of your own posting would not look as good in sliver as they do pt/pd, plus for me there are some images that cry to have pt/pd look others really do look better in silver (some of them cry out to be toned) it just goes on and on and on.

    Thanks for sharing ....
    Not really, Jim's negative was excellent, I just chose to do the print this way. I could have done the print a bit more like the azo print, but then what is the use of making a pt/pd print that is going to look like a silver print? Essentially, negatives that are good for azo also produce very nice alt prints, I could have just as well done a Satista or a Kallitype. This is why Herbst says that azo is a good "proof" for printing pt/pd, because you can use the same negative. I disagree with this, the "look" is so totally different that it makes it useless for me.

  5. #5
    David A. Goldfarb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    17,231
    Images
    20
    I think certain kinds of images lend themselves to certain print processes, and when one commits to one or two processes, that influences the kinds of scenes one looks for.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Düsseldorf, Germany
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    1,021
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    I think certain kinds of images lend themselves to certain print processes, and when one commits to one or two processes, that influences the kinds of scenes one looks for.
    Definitely! Even when choosing to enlarge or to contact print for final presentation - the format and materials we choose to work with affects the images we make and seach for, especially in relation to composition.
    Francesco

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    5,236
    Images
    9
    I woud like to hear Jim's description of the thinking behnd his print. That is what art is all about.

    Personally i do not see this subject lending itself to PT/PD but that is just my taste.
    Thanks for the comparison Jorge.

    Wouldn't it be cool if we could get more interpretive comparisons, of the same negative, like this? I do not think it would be tough because with pyro, a negative can be developed with a dual purpose in mind.
    Last edited by Sean; 07-23-2004 at 02:04 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: to remove items moderated in previous posts
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

    So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

  8. #8
    Silverpixels5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    594
    Images
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by mark

    Wouldn't it be cool if we could get more interpretive comparisons, of the same negative, like this? I do not think it would be tough because with pyro, a negative can be developed with a dual purpose in mind.

    I actually think thats a great idea. We should create a print exchange where one single negative is sent around in a group, and each person prints it to thier liking. Then either the finished prints could be rotated around in the group, or posted in the site's gallery.
    RL Foley

  9. #9
    Aggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    So. Utah
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    4,925
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverpixels5
    I actually think thats a great idea. We should create a print exchange where one single negative is sent around in a group, and each person prints it to thier liking. Then either the finished prints could be rotated around in the group, or posted in the site's gallery.
    EricR was supposed to be getting this exact thing going. Where are you Eric?

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    4,530
    Quote Originally Posted by mark
    I woud like to hear Jim's description of the thinking behnd his print. That is what art is all about.
    I wonder, where is Jim? I also would like to hear his opinion and thinking about making the print.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin