Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,008   Posts: 1,524,606   Online: 1053

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, this sounds promising. Perhaps instead of etching w/ acid, this step could be replaced by electroplating.

Would this theoretically work?

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by phritz phantom View Post
    unfortunately the guy doesn't know much about gum printing. first thing that came to my mind was that the gum layer won't stick to the metal (or swim off in development). gum is infamous for being picky about surfaces.
    gelatin (aka carbon printing) would probably be a better option (it is used on metal surfaces in copper photogravure).

and about the plating: can one achieve greys (not-white, not-black) with this? except when using a printing screen (or is it grid?? sorry don't know the english word for the little dots).
    Mr. PP,

Don't be so quick to jump. Gum can be printed on glass and metal!
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga View Post
    Mr. PP,

Don't be so quick to jump. Gum can be printed on glass and metal!
    see my next post. it probably can, but without sizing/ subcoats? i doubt that.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Quote Originally Posted by phritz phantom View Post
    see my next post. it probably can, but without sizing/ subcoats? i doubt that.
    But you didn't say that to begin with did you?

Anyway with the proper substrate applied to glass, metal or wood gum layers can be printed.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK, so I've had some recent thoughts on this.

Another alternative method for "metal prints" would be to use steel bluing, like in guns. I think the best way to do this would be too make a pigmentless carbon transfer to a polished piece of metal (just like a Woodburytype) and then apply whatever method to tint the uncovered areas, whether it be electro-plating, patina, bluing, rust, and so on.

Different metals and different treatments could produce a wide range of looks.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From 1899, British Journal of Photography, Vol. 46, pg. 411:

METALLIC PHOTOGRAPHS:

It is about two years since we referred to the charming method of photographic printing which the Metallic Photo Printing Syndicate, of New Southgate, was formed to work and exploit. The results could not fail to excite admiration. The image, in brilliant pulverulent silver or gold, is transfered to a surface of polished mahogany, previously made black, and is subsequently treated and varnished in such a manner that the destructive agency of the most powerful acids has no effect on the picture, which may therefore be looked upon as possessing the elements of permanency in the highest degree.

The process since its first introduction has been considerably improved in its working details by Mr. F. Ahrle, the managing director of the Company, and the latest specimens shown us possess a depth and richness of image which could scarcely be improved upon. Besides portraits, the process is well adapted for the reproduction of pictures, advertising plaques (sheets of ferrotype here constituting the support), and other purposes. Mr. Ahrle tells us that, given suitable negatives, the best possible results are easily and inexpensively produced at his works.

Nothing could have a richer decorative effect in the house than a large portrait or reproduction of a picture with the image in bright silver or gold on a massive, highly polished ebony black support. Besides the element of permanence, these pictures have every good photographic quality, detail and gradation, light and shadow being perfectly rendered. We urderatand that these metallic photographs (in which the only fault we can find is their awkward name) are shortly to be brought very prominently to the notice of the public.

I'm not sure if that last line ever came true... but I'd love to see one.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Chris ,

I had been posted a thread about electroplating silver print with platin or titanium 1 or 2 years ago.

Umut

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin