Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,695   Posts: 1,549,064   Online: 1027

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Photogravure/Photopolymer/Carbon printing

Hi all,

I am wondering if some people have experience of using these three different processes (or two at least):
    - Photogravure or Heliogravure
    - Photopolymer printing plates
    - Carbon printing

If so, skipping on the differences and pros/cons of the different processes, could you talk about the output differences and how they compare in terms of tonal range, surface texture, overall aesthetic, etc, that you observed.

Past the learning curve, are you using one of these processes, or several? What would derive your decision to choose one technique over the other? would it derive from the photograph? or from the logistics involved with producing the print?

About photogravure/heliogravure in particular.
    Did you implement successfully the new gravure tissue produced by Bosticks & Sullivan in your workflow? If one is not considering producing his own tissue, is it worth pursuing with photogravure after the defunct autotype tissue?

I am looking forward to your input,

Thank you !

Delphine

My background is in printmaking. I've done lithography including photo-litho on plates and stones, which was my main interest. I've done Intaglio/photo gravure. I've also done serigraphy using photographic images.
    I do not have a proper press but hope to one day.
    Now I am working in carbon making my own tissues. It's a lovely process with much richer tonalities than what I could ever get from photogravure or lithography. The image is in relief somewhat like a gravure's.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I'm also a carbon printer in California. It is my passion and gives me everything I could ask for with my images. I've heard of the other processes but I would have to compare side by side to judge but so far for me nothing beats carbon transfer.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin