Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,901   Online: 1183

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The color head on your enlarger should be set to 0 for all three filters for this particular chore. When you are separating an original positive, you need to filter using the primary colors of light, not their compliments.

Do the named separation sets (I count three of them made by posters in this thread) account for the fact that enlarger lamps are warm in color?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tested one of the new Kodak B&W films, I think it was Tmax 100, but not sure. The wedge spectrogram indicated that it did have a UV absorber. I wish I could remember which film it was! Another film had the UV absorber omitted. This information is available on Kodak's web site though.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    I tested one of the new Kodak B&W films, I think it was Tmax 100, but not sure. The wedge spectrogram indicated that it did have a UV absorber. I wish I could remember which film it was! Another film had the UV absorber omitted. This information is available on Kodak's web site though.

PE
    Tmax 400 sheet film has no UV barrier. See Kodak's PDF.

I think the 100 does.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Ian. I could not remember as it was a few years back.

This implies that other films in that family do have the UV filter then?

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, 35mm Tmax 400 has the UV blocker as well as all the Tmax 100. Sandy King could add more to this regarding other films.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wow, some good information here! And now I'm feeling some regrets because I shot a LOT of slides this winter/spring. This is a lot of work and sounds expensive maybe too expensive for me at the moment because I can't guarantee 100% darkness in my room with my enlarger so I that I could use panchromatic film.

Like just about everything I do in life I lunge forward with a cavalier spirit and then suffer the ramifications afterwards. Kind of like "The Fool" in the tarot deck, one foot on the ground, the other hanging over the edge of the cliff, and a little dog making a ruckus trying to keep the fool from taking the next step. Even the dog is wary, but the fool, he doesn't have a care in the wind, and he doesn't even recognize the warnings from the dog even.

I want to gum print some of these slides so much, but I lack the funds to do this the right way, right now. So either I have to wait, or possibly I could find someone who would make the internegs for me, for a fee of course. And of course for a select few slides. I know Stephen Frizza could do these for me, but that's all the way over on the other side of the world. Does anyone know of a more local resource (I'm in California)?
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perhaps I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem like this should cost much. If you can find the sep filters for cheap on eBay, that's probably the greatest cost. I don't know much about gum printing by my understanding was that it's pretty cheap. 4 sheets of film, process, etc., chump change to a darkroomist. Get some black plastic or foil tape and you can be light-tight in no time.

Unless your time is money, GO FOR IT
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    The color head on your enlarger should be set to 0 for all three filters for this particular chore. When you are separating an original positive, you need to filter using the primary colors of light, not their compliments.

Do the named separation sets (I count three of them made by posters in this thread) account for the fact that enlarger lamps are warm in color?
    Oh that's a very good question 2F! Thanks for thinking of that! I think that my enlarger (Omega D5XL with dichroic head) has a halogen bulb, though not having the need yet to replace it I don't know for sure. A quick peruse of Google indicates that halogen bulbs can be warm or cold, but the most abundant is warm bulbs. I detect more research is necessary!
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Perhaps I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem like this should cost much. If you can find the sep filters for cheap on eBay, that's probably the greatest cost. I don't know much about gum printing by my understanding was that it's pretty cheap. 4 sheets of film, process, etc., chump change to a darkroomist. Get some black plastic or foil tape and you can be light-tight in no time.

Unless your time is money, GO FOR IT
    Making the room where my enlarger is, light tight, is the least costly of the things I need to do. My first calculations at cost to produce my own negatives assumed I could use ortho film and that I could also use my color head to dial in filter values. Yellow + Cyan for green, etc. But in the last few days I started looking for wratten filters and first thing I found is I can't find them all but the ones I have found are costly. I bought a 45 filter auction for dirt cheep, getting 45 wratten filters but only one of them is on the list of filters people have suggested above. Secondly, I can't find panchromatic film of the size I want to enlarge to. I am certain that if I could find that size it would be enormously expensive by comparison to ortho film. Maybe I have to buy a roll and cut it down? Okay, so if I do that now I have to buy the roll holder, the radial cutter or whatever you call that device. There are costs in here that make it prohibitive for me to do this myself (at this time). I don't particularly consider a minimum of $500 as "chump change".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, well I guess I was imagining 4x5" film, but indeed if you are doing some ULF stuff then you know what you're talking about.

On filters... I'd look for gels or cellophane filters. Often times people are clearing out a huge lot of 20+ gel filters and the seller won't even list what filters are there. You have to message them just to get the list and this extra step results in a lot less auction competition.

P.S. I have no idea why I'm getting double words sometimes, this just happened on another post... it's always the first line, last word. WEIRD!
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin