Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,540   Posts: 1,544,362   Online: 1053

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Color separation negs from slide. Is it possible?

Hello, I'd like to take some of my 4x5's (slides, E6's, chromes, color positives, whichever you call them) and make color separation negatives from them (enlarged actually) so I can do 4 color gum printing. I have a color head on my Omega enlarger. Is that color head only useful for printing color positives using color negative film? Is it possible to make RGB (Red Green Blue) negatives with what I have? I'm thinking I could use the enlarger, yes, but I'd have to find me some RGB filters to do the separations. If making these negs is possible then this is the route I want to go down because it's a two step process (enlarge & color separate, print) to the final print rather than three steps (enlarge & color separate, reversal, print) starting with a color negative original. Please go easy on me. While I'm not known to be color blind, I am kind of color dumb.
    Last edited by Perry Way; 08-10-2010 at 01:53 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: 4 words for positives
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You just need to buy a set of Tri-colour separation filers. Wratten no's 25 Red, 58 Green and 47 Blue. There's also a stronger set usually termed Deep, 29 Red, 61 Deep Green and 47b Deep Blue

These filters originated in the early 1900's at Wratten & Wainright in the UK who where early pioneers of Panchromatic emulsion, Kodak wanted Mees their photo-chemist to head up a new Kodak Research facility and the deal was they also had to buy the company.

The Dye transfer sites will have details on making the actual separation negatives from transparencies.

Ian

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    This site has a downloadable pdf on dye transfer printing that includes a section on making separation negatives.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak have discontinued most of these particular Wratten filters.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    This site has a downloadable pdf on dye transfer printing that includes a section on making separation negatives.
    Awesome! I will read this now! I have looked high and low on this topic, not saying I'm all that or that Google isn't all that, but I could not find anything except how to make digital color separation negs. Well shoot.. I knew that digital route years ago, but honestly at this point I am not interested in the digital route. Too costly (the hardware required to do this myself) and quality not as good.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Perry;

Go to Jim Browning's dye transfer web site for a good discussion of this process and making Dye Transfer prints.

At Kodak, we used the WR98, 99 and 70 filters for our separation negatives.

PE

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The filters Ian recommends are the traditional ones used. Photo Engineer recommends 99, 98 and 70 for a cleaner color separation. All are still listed as being made by Tiffen on the B&H site.

Edit: It would seem PE and I posted at the same time.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think we should point out that even with the filters you'll probably have to work with panchromatic film, not safelight safe ortho film, yes? Because ortho film won't react the same way as panchro to the colours...
    ~Heather
    oooh shiny!
    http://www.stargazy.org/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    I think we should point out that even with the filters you'll probably have to work with panchromatic film, not safelight safe ortho film, yes? Because ortho film won't react the same way as panchro to the colours...

That is correct. Only panchromatic film can be used for color separations, and the best film for this purpose is one that has a long, straight line curve. I would recommend TMAX-100.

I made many color separation sets from Ektachrome transparencies in the 1980s. At the time Kodak literature recommended the narrow band filter set Red 29, Green 60, and Blue 47b for separating transparencies, and Red 25, Green 58 and Blue 47 for making separations from life.

Sandy King

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sandy, doesn't Tmax 100 has a UV blocking layer? I think the O.P. was planning to use the separations for gum printing...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin