Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,187   Online: 710

Shooter
    Large Format

developing for alternative prints

Hi,

I am coming to grips with proper development for contact prints using cyanotype, VDB, salt prints, and albumen...I am using film, still havent settled on a film yet but want to try FP4.

In developing I am currently using pyrocat HD, and for scanning in the negs, it does well. For contact prints also does well. Reading the Salt print thesis (found here) I would like to try Pyro PMK but will I see a difference btwn the two developers as it pertains to contact printing? I know proof is in the pudding and will have to try it anyway, but will I see anything? I am tray developing my negs (wholeplate, 4x5 and 8x10).

For those doing developing for alternative processes, 2:2:100, I think I read in one of Sandy's post that is his baseline for carbon printing.

Thanks

Erick

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    do yourself a favor and stick with pyrocat hd or mc...I use the mc and the results for platinum and salt are just superb..
    Best, Peter
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Erick-contrary to popular belief I have achieved excellent results with TMY2 and xtol 1;1 with extended development...in the order of around 18 minutes with great results also...prints very well also
    Have a nice day
    Peter
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Peter,

Thank you for the replies. I was coming to the same conclusion. Over the weekend I did a few test negatives with Foma and Kodak films using HD. I used a 2:2:100 at 12 then 15 and then 18 minutes, not enough to nail down development but enough of a test to determine I am on the right track. To be honest I havent shot TMY2 yet, how does it compare to Acros 100 or FP4+? Xtol I've never used. I started with D76 years ago, walked away from developing, then I came back. Using predominantly HD but have Ilford ID11 for unknowns.

Thank you for the help.

Erick

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin