Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,852   Online: 757

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trash-o-type

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Trash-o-type

I can't imagine that I'm the first person to be collecting what I've been calling 'Trash-o-types', but I haven't see any references to them on web so I wrote up the creation of one on my blog, but its copypasta below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45618841@N03/4935677958/

The above image is what I've been calling a trash-o-type. It is made (or should I say discovered?) when a piece of photosensitive paper is discarded. As the paper sits in the trash it will come into contract with photochemistry residue from all sorts of darkroom related trash. It is 'finished' by a prewash, a fixer bath, then a final wash.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45618841@N03/4935086505/
    *The story behind the creation of a trash-o-type*

I'm in my darkroom and I will be trying my best to make a beautiful print and I am only succeeding in frustering myself with the results. I toss an early screw up into the trash (I dodge the wrong corner, with the wrong filter, for the wrong time. Gah!). I continue to print and forget about the discarded paper. The bit of paper gets dripped on from various darkroom related trash and exposed to whitelight.

Days later I am taking out the trash and I see a record of my darkroom work. It wasn't intentional, but is beautiful- and chaotic. I take it out of the trash and wash it in water for a few minutes, then fix and follow with a final wash.

The print looks strange in the final wash with the rest of my prints. But once all the prints are hung on the line; it is the trash-o-type that stands out.

I never actively try to make a trash-o-type, but if I notice paper in the trash starting to 'mature' then I might make a mental note to check it later... and perhaps abstain from emptying the trash for a few days.

I think it would be counter to the nature of the trash-o-type to try and actively produce them. To me they are beautiful manifestations of chaos and chance, and a fantastic pick-me-up to discover after a unlucky day of printing. The fact that they are produced during the failures of other prints makes them all most take on the missing qualities of the discarded prints.

And being a one of a kind in the age of mechanical reproduction is icing on the conceptual cake.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Those look neat.

I used to keep them. Then I realized that that last thing I need is more crap floating around my darkroom, so I stopped. Every now and then, a nice one will catch my eye, though.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OMG, I'm upset by the thought of all of the masterpieces that I have unwittingly thrown away all these years!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Congratulations alexhill, you may be the first to admit it.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    similar idea as with 'chemical painting'
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    needless to say they look much better in person. (I didn't set up my lights and polarizers to photograph them)

2F/2F, I totally understand the clutter problem. I say to myself, how much space does an 8x10 take up? Next thing I know I've got a couple thousand prints chilling in boxes filling up my shelves. I know a lot of people who keep test strips though... So thank goodness I'm not that bad

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I had been casting about for a good term for this process, if "process" is the word for it. I am hereby officially (?) adopting yours!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One more aspect of analogue that the digi folks are missing out on.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

more trash

I knew I had these somewhere, but it took time to ferret them out. I had posted them to the gallery a couple of years ago. I called them "Found Art", but I really like the "Trash-o-type" label
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails found art 1.jpg   Found Art 2.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, both alexhill's and sly's are quite beautiful!

I'm a fan.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin