Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,082   Online: 905

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

Thread: F#@%ing Fakes

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Nice thread !!

I've got some fake ambrotypes here:
    http://193.166.40.90/?p=1490

- Jalo
    V-E-D-O-S
    Alternative Processes in Photography & Printmaking
    Satakunta University of Applied Sciences
    38701 Kankaanpää, Finland
    vedos@samk.fi
    http://vedos.samk.fi
    http://www.samk.fi

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I gave a talk at local photo club a couple of years ago about cyanotypes. Some joker in the club emailed me his "digital cyanotypes" the next day, and another member has produced "platinum" prints with fake brush strokes. They don't even get how insulting it is to those of us who put in the time and effort to learn these processes. It like chain restaurants claiming to serve "homemade" soup or bread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Although I agree in principle with Thomas -- "A good picture is a good picture regardless of how it was printed." -- Jeffrey is absolutely right about 'full disclosure' and Vaughn has hit on a real problem for us: name overlap. I make my own silver gelatin emulsion. Try explaining that to people! I either get something like, 'my dad did that, too.' (meaning, of course, commercial paper in a darkroom) or they think I mean a Liquid Light-type product.

I think most of us resist boring people to tears talking about our process, and galleries think that tasteful minimalism requires...?? no detailed process info? We should be respectful, certainly, but I think it's ok to fight back a little against what I've come to see as pretty much old-fashioned dishonesty.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Project Vedos View Post
    Nice thread !!

I've got some fake ambrotypes here:
    http://193.166.40.90/?p=1490

- Jalo
    Hi Jalo! I didn't know you were an APUG'er.

Everyone else, I had the delight to see Jalo's work at APIS in Santa Fe last summer. Absolutely stunning!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dwross View Post
    Hi Jalo! I didn't know you were an APUG'er.

Everyone else, I had the delight to see Jalo's work at APIS in Santa Fe last summer. Absolutely stunning!
    Hi Denise! Thanks for your kind words...
    Mainly lurking here ...

- Jalo
    V-E-D-O-S
    Alternative Processes in Photography & Printmaking
    Satakunta University of Applied Sciences
    38701 Kankaanpää, Finland
    vedos@samk.fi
    http://vedos.samk.fi
    http://www.samk.fi

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    One one hand, it's infuriating to see (mostly) awful imitations of beautiful processes, but it also shows that people value the aesthetic of the processes--which is good. Sometimes in life, the imitations lead a path to the real thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    A friend of mine is enrolled at a "school of photography". They DO actually get their hands wet in the darkroom for a few days. Ater that, there are workshops in using Photoshop etc., to emulate silver-gelatin, cyano etc., etc., He thinks I'm a bit nutso to be using film, making carbon-transfers, gum-dichromates etc., but every time I show him a print he says "wow, you actually made that?"
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Hexavalent View Post
    A friend of mine is enrolled at a "school of photography". They DO actually get their hands wet in the darkroom for a few days. Ater that, there are workshops in using Photoshop etc., to emulate silver-gelatin, cyano etc., etc., He thinks I'm a bit nutso to be using film, making carbon-transfers, gum-dichromates etc., but every time I show him a print he says "wow, you actually made that?"
    That may mean, your really worked hard to do what can be done in PS or it can mean, that is way better than the PS work. Which do you think?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    bigger fakes to fry if you ask me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I will only take you seriously if you mail me your rant on parchment, written with quill and ink and delivered by pony express. Darn internets.. Faking letter writing..

That said, everything is a fake of something else. Some fakes are great enough that they become originals on their own. I do agree with you regarding faking processed in Photoshop. If you want a Cyanotype, make one.

My big pet peeve nowadays is 'professionals' taking portraits with a phone camera and saying it's as good as a dSLR. Give me a break!

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin