Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,792   Online: 676

Page 1 of 19 123456711 ... LastLast

Thread: F#@%ing Fakes

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

F#@%ing Fakes

I was just at Banes and Noble looking through their magazine area and low and behold a new photo magazine from the UK. well like most I thought it would be great, but I started to look at the cyanotypes and platinum prints and there we were how to make cyanotypes and Pl/Pt prints on photoshop, brush strokes and all.
    I guess this is the type of world we live in. People will work harder to make a Damn fake than try to make a original which is going to be so much more vibrant than anything these jerks could ever make. So what happens, you have a show and some photo geek (as in computer geek), ask, oh how did you get photoshop to do those prints like that. my answer, well I walk away before I throw them out of the gallery. Lets just make photography cheap and crappie and we will be right back where we were with the Art world 50 years ago. and if you are to young to remember. get Edward Weston's day books and Ansel Adam's book on his letters he wrote.
    Sorry I just had to vent to those that are still real.
    regards
    Michael Andersen
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Get Edward Weston's day books and Ansel Adam's book on his letters he wrote."
    I am unfamiliar with these books. Do they rip into would-be Photoshop users of the day?
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The advantage is that the geek can take mouse in hand and click file|print and walk away while the printer churns out 100 "Genuine Hand-Made Vintage Giclée Prints".
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Those books were written before PCs. Digital prints especially in a for sale (gallery) situation should be labeled as such. As for that matter any gallery worth its salt should disclose any print medium. Personally I print pt/pd, silver gelatin and digital and see each as a different medium. I represent each as to the actual medium.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    I forget what it's called, but the photoshop plugin that "emulates" different black and white film grains is the one that burns me up. It's amazing to me that someone would pay money for this. It's also amazing to me that people pay $20-$100+ for rice cookers, because the idea of dumping rice into hot water is too much for them to grasp. Photoshop has become the new rice cooker.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I bet I could pay some some online company to print me out some genuine looking digital daguerrotypes. Now that would be sweet. ;p
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i have a copy of test magazine, the polaroid magazine from the 1990s ...
    and in it there are specific instructions on how to fake your polaroid and
    case it to look like an ambrotype. the ones they have in the magazine look
    pretty convincing. i don't really see much of a difference.

i have a rice cooker and used it for years when i didn't have a full kitchen.
    it comes in handy when you have a 1 burner stove and need to cook a few things at once.

what i am peeved about is people who need to make coffee with coffee filters, and electric grinders.
    what a waste of paper or gold ( if they have a gold filter )

they can just as easily make coffee in an ibriki using a HAND CRANK grinder
    or cowboy coffee if they are too busy to grind extra fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's not going away. I think the best we can do is continue to work on our art work, walk respectfully among our digital peers, and hope for some respect in return.

Personally I don't really care how anybody gets to their end results. A good picture is a good picture regardless of how it was printed.
    And a good cup of coffee is a good cup of coffee no matter how the coffee was ground.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tis the world that we live in. I saw a college student try and pass off her portfolio of images as 4x5 type 55 transfers and prints to the SC chapter of PPA during a student Crit. The think that gave her away was not only the identical frame edges, but also that not all the images were 4x5" or even the same aspect ratio. Some ppl think that it makes them more unique because they have that aesthetic. What makes it even more unique. If they actually used the process or the tools that they try and emulate digitally.
    (I know, more of the same sentiment...)
    M. David Farrell, Jr.

----------------------------------------------
    ~Buying a Nikon doesn not make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner!

~Everybody has a photographic memory, but not everybody has film!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    There is a situation of coming up with creative names for one's process without taking into consideration the history of photography. Some folks using carbon pigments in their inkjet printers have used "Carbon Print" as an alternative to inkjet and glicee (excuse my French)...which just gets confusing when there is already a process called Carbon (Pigment) Printing that is about 150 years old. And a bit awkward for us traditional carbon printers as we are quite outnumbered. But actually, it seems that the situation is getting better..

I don't drink coffee. Don't like the flavor, and sounds like too much work...at least compared to the ease of teas.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 1 of 19 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin