Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,622   Online: 690

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Construction paper exposure for kids

I'm hoping someone remembers how to do this because I looked and couldn't find anything.

I can remember as a kid taking sheets of black construction paper and putting objects on them and letting them sit in the sun for a while and coming back to find faded paper with images on it.

Can this still be done with modern construction paper? About how long does it take? Has anyone ever tried this in a large or medium format camera, and if so did it have a wow factor for kids?

I want to show this no processing photography trick to a three year old.

Thanks for any help you can give.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't know why that wouldn't work today. I'd just try it. I'm sure cheap construction paper doesn't have great dyes, and should fade quickly.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's more usually done the other way around.

Ilford used to make a POP kit for schools for making Photograms. There was an old process where a fully exposed "black" print was soaked in Potassium Iodide & dried then when re-exposed to sunlight the image would bleach where affected by light, but I have no details at hand.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    They sell cheap pre-sensitized cyanotype kits for this... "Sunprint" or some such name. In science stores...I think Freestyle sells them too. Just expose, then put in water IIRC.

Ed: here they are - http://freestylephoto.biz/9991-Sunpr...ets?cat_id=104

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks, I am going to try the cyanotype paper, it takes about an hour and that should be about the right amount of time for a three year old in a here do this, ok go play, ok now do this, look you made a photo kind of way.
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've used it to make tiny contact prints before. It's not half bad for the few bucks. Hope the kiddo enjoys it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    There is a lot of variability in the light-fastness of dyes. You might consider getting an assortment pack at the dime store, and doing a simple test. As I recall, blues and greens tend to be the most stable (in cheap consumer goods) while reds and yellows are pretty fragile. There actually is no "black" dye (one that absorbs all colors equally) and the black paper may well have a pigment (carbon black is cheap) along with a mixture of complementary dyes.

If you can befriend a darkroom guy with some expired/fogged/unwanted photographic paper, you will really be set to go!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Putting typical RC photographic paper in the sun (especially the kind with built in developer) will cause an image to form. They used this process in those 6 month long pinholes, no development, just scan.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    sun prints with regular photo paper is easy and fun it doesn't take long ..
    photogramming with regular rc paper is fast and easy
    and if you want to do something fun
    stick a piece of rc paper in a camera, leave it on B while you are making your photograms,
    for a half hour pointed towards something in the sun
    and you will get a negative printed on the paper ...

it doesn't need to be a pinhole for 6 months
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin