Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,730   Online: 996

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyg View Post
    I don't pretreat Platine. Once Bostick and Sullivan stopped carrying Crane's Platinotype I tried a number of papers but have worked best with Platine. It has a nice natural color, coats easily and has good wet strength. I found that when using a puddle pusher it is best to have a piece of matte board under the paper rather than having the paper directly on a hard surface. I also let the emulsion soak in for about five minutes before drying it.
    Jeff- are you doing palladium, platinum/palladium blend, or pure platinum prints?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Platinum/palladium + a very small amt. of gold-chloride. I am using HP5 film in 4x5 and Delta 400 in 6x6. The 6x6 I enlarge on to x-ray duplicating film which is extremely slow but is a terrific reversal film. I will also enlarge the 4x5's the same way. I have made successful digital negatives from scanned film but while I have made very good prints from them they still don't match the duplicating film.

http://jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    I am hesitant to say this as I am very new to this,so, at the risk of looking stupid. I did read once that Colburn coated both sides of the paper and that Stieglitz was very impressed with the dmax that resulted. As a historical reference this might be worth looking at (or not)
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyg View Post
    Platinum/palladium + a very small amt. of gold-chloride. I am using HP5 film in 4x5 and Delta 400 in 6x6. The 6x6 I enlarge on to x-ray duplicating film which is extremely slow but is a terrific reversal film. I will also enlarge the 4x5's the same way. I have made successful digital negatives from scanned film but while I have made very good prints from them they still don't match the duplicating film.

http://jeffreyglasser.com/
    What X-ray duplicating film are you using if I may ask? And can you give us a supplier?
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cowanw View Post
    I am hesitant to say this as I am very new to this,so, at the risk of looking stupid. I did read once that Colburn coated both sides of the paper and that Stieglitz was very impressed with the dmax that resulted. As a historical reference this might be worth looking at (or not)
    Where did you read this? it sounds rather odd, but interesting all the same
    Platinum Printing Editions http://www.dceditions.com
    The Art of Platinum Printing Blog http://artofplatinum.wordpress.com/
    Alternative Photographic Processes blog http://altphotoblog.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Bill, you're correct - although it was Karl Struss who coated and printed on both sides of the paper. The image on the back side of the paper was reversed. He repeated this up to 12 or 13 times to get a good black. Stieglitz was impressed enough to choose 6 prints for Camera Work and Struss was invited to become a member of the Photo-Secession.
    Keith Taylor
    Platinum, Photogravure and Historic Process Editions
    Website | Weblog | Google+ | Facebook
    2011 Minnesota Center for Book Arts/Jerome Foundation Mentorship Program recipient

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thank you for the correction. I suppose the registration has to be really good unless you were going for a pictorialist look.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you for the correction. I suppose the registration has to be really good unless you were going for a pictorialist look.
    I agree. But Struss was a perfectionist and apparently they were in perfect registration!
    Keith Taylor
    2011 Minnesota Center for Book Arts/Jerome Foundation Mentorship Program recipient

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've tried this on translucent papers. Seems pretty wasteful as the dark areas expose quickly and then mask the sensitizer on the back of the paper. So most of the stuff on the back goes down the drain. Didn't see much effect.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Altman View Post
    I've tried this on translucent papers. Seems pretty wasteful as the dark areas expose quickly and then mask the sensitizer on the back of the paper. So most of the stuff on the back goes down the drain. Didn't see much effect.
    I think he exposed and processed each side separately, one after the other. Sounds a PITA though.
    Keith Taylor

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin