Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,236   Online: 1100

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Print-Out-Paper with old Kodabromide - Any way to fix the image?

Lately I've been having fun using some really old Kodabromide paper that I picked up at Goodwill. I haven't even bothered to put it in any chemicals, but after leaving it in an easel for a couple weeks I noticed that it was starting to darken.

So naturally, I set it outside in the sun and in no time it was this rich burgundy color. The next logical step was to put it in a contact frame with some transparencies... etc. Anyways, the prints I've gotten have a really great look to them and aside from scanning them, it'd be fun to fix them for preservation.

As it is, I guess I have a host of questions....

Namely, is fixation possible? Also, are there modern papers that would exhibit this phenomenon?

Weren't the classic POP (print out papers) primarily one halide over the others? Which one? How are/were POP fixed?

Thanks!
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i have been doing something similar,
    but haven't found a good way to deal with
    the bleaching of the image in even weak hypo / fix ...

i think the 10% pre-soak in potassium nitrate 2x will be my next step ..
    it can't take any longer to expose that i am already dealing with

good luck !
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll try to post an example shortly....

Learning about POP now....
    Last edited by holmburgers; 09-22-2010 at 04:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's the first one I did. It happens to be a slide that I POP'ed, but what the hay, i like it!

This was done a couple weeks ago and by now the "white" is maybe just a couple zones removed from the darkest bits.

And for what it's wroth, to deviate from theory and science for a bit, a little background... This is the Heart O' Chicago Motel in none other than Chicago. I stayed there with my girlfriend, expecting a cheap, clean and retro motel. It was all three things, but could've used a bit more cheap. Good management, but when you show up at 2 in the morning you might be told to double-park somebody. Don't worry though, if that person needs to get out before you they'll just call you in the morning..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Motel POP for APUG.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It bleaches a lot in fixer, becoming a nice brown color. Expose it longer, and you can get a beautiful dark brown.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You could try gold toning. I did this with some unexhausting POP gold toner, except that I used a sheet of light-struck 8x10 film. The image wasn't terribly heavy, but it looks good against a dark background, and is definitely more substantial than it would have been after simply fixing the film. One of these days, I'm going to have to try sun-printing and then either a physical developer or intensifier for the fixed image.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I will say, one of the beautiful things about this PO-technique is that it requires no chemicals. It's so nice to be able to make some "prints" one afternoon with nothing other than the sun and a contact frame.

That behind said, the gold toner sounds intriguing. What mechanism is responsible? Is it that the gold is replacing the silver, and thus is resilient to light thereafter? IDK
    Last edited by holmburgers; 09-28-2010 at 10:51 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yep, that's about it. Sunprinting doesn't yield much metal, which is why the image is so faint after fixing. A little gold goes a long way, which is why I tried it. (That, and there was still some life left when I finished with my regular POP processing.)

The so-called physical developers use the silver nuclei to catalyze deposition of additional metal; these should work even better, if we could find an appropriate formula. I wish a real chemist would weigh in on this---I may be forced to start with the Brashear silvering formula and explore from there!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    How are/were POP fixed?
    Back when I used POP (mid 70's), I just used regular ol' fixer. I have a vague recollection of adding salt to keep it from lightening so much; not sure though.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    The so-called physical developers use the silver nuclei to catalyze deposition of additional metal; these should work even better, if we could find an appropriate formula. I wish a real chemist would weigh in on this---I may be forced to start with the Brashear silvering formula and explore from there!
    But that defeats the whole purpose of POP, adding a development stage...

If you attempt to do a regular development on a printed out paper, you might as well do a normal darkroom contact print and develop-stop-fix workflow as with any modern DOP paper.

Anyway, there are no real POP papers anymore AFAK...
    Last edited by Marco B; 09-28-2010 at 04:41 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin