Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,644   Online: 786

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Dave,
    I'm wondering about the mechanics of the process for those of us who use a contact printing frame. I presume its the same negative each time. How are you registering & holding the neg to the paper?

The idea of selective coating the print for 2nd/3rd layer is rather intriguing. One could evaluate a print under coating light, and brush additional sensitizer only where needed.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Davec101 View Post
    Hi Alex

I have been shooting some video of the process over the last week, I have yet to edit it all, here is me coating the second layer ( its quite long, needs editing!). Will post it all once i have some spare time.

As a side note: nice new photos you are working on! Post the results in the Gallery when they are finished.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk View Post
    Dave,
    I'm wondering about the mechanics of the process for those of us who use a contact printing frame. I presume its the same negative each time. How are you registering & holding the neg to the paper?

The idea of selective coating the print for 2nd/3rd layer is rather intriguing. One could evaluate a print under coating light, and brush additional sensitizer only where needed.
    I use a vacuum frame so some the mechanics would be slightly different. There are numerous ways a registering however a pin registration system would be the easiest method whereby you would attach an additional piece of transparency to the top of the original negative and make a pin hole though the transparency and onto the printing paper, each successive cycle you would align the negative up to these holes and then use masking tape to ensure the negative stays registered. For smaller images this can also be done by eye.

Initially one could use the same negative each time however the ability to craft separation negatives to enhance highlight or shadow detail is key to this technique akin to what Penn did.
    Platinum Printing Editions http://www.dceditions.com
    The Art of Platinum Printing Blog http://artofplatinum.wordpress.com/
    Alternative Photographic Processes blog http://altphotoblog.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey,

Interested in what you are using to bond the paper to aluminum, is it permanent or is it removable? Also curious as to what kind of densitometer you are using? Trying to find out one to get, but have no idea about the different models.

Thanks,
    Noel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin