Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,161   Posts: 1,614,249   Online: 1174

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Pt/Pd Film Toner

I want to ask that is there such a thing like platin or palladium toner for film ?
    If such a toner exist , does it fully replace silver with pd.
    I think I need such a toner and if it does not exist , how do you formulate it ?

I am thinking to build a anamorphic pinhole camera and tone the 6x17 cms bw positives.

Thank you ,

Mustafa Umut Sarac

Istanbul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sure, you can certainly 'decorate' silver with platinum or palladium, but I don't know about replacing it entirely. Why would you want to do that?

Anyway, maybe this will get you started...

http://albumen.conservation-us.org/l...lly/chap8.html

Note the reference to a colleague of yours in Istanbul Okay that was 1856.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Taken from the above link. This is for prints. How do you formulate it for Plus X Positve 120 ?

THE PRACTICE OF PLATINUM TONING
    The effects obtainable with platinum toning do seem to harmonize especially well with a matte surface, although platinum toning can be used with albumen and other kinds of glossy paper. The main technical difference between gold and platinum toning is that gold toning goes on best in an alkaline environment, while platinum toning requires a neutral or acidic condition. One difficulty in platinum toning is the tendency to produce yellowish highlights if the toning is carried on too long, or if the solution is too strong or too acidic. Another is the tendency of any impurities such as silver nitrate or sodium thiosulfate to rob the toning bath of its activity by altering the platinum to an irreducible condition. For this reason prints to be toned in a platinum toner must be well washed and treated in a 5% sodium chloride solution for 2 minutes and then washed again for 5 minutes in running water before being placed in the toning solution. Still another precaution to be observed is to wash the prints well after toning, to be sure that none of the acidic platinum toner is carried into the fixing bath.

A useful platinum toning formula is as follows:

Potassium chloroplatinite, 1% sol 50 ml
    Citric acid 4 g
    Water 750 ml

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I expect that it will work quite similarly for film, the chemistry will be similar if not identical. The rate of toning may be different due to the substrate, but I don't imagine that being a huge issue.

By the way, I did halochrome toning on some negs and it worked almost the exact same way that it does with prints.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thank you Keith.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Potassium chloroplatinite

I looked to Bostick Sullivan and cost 40 dollar per gram. It says add 5 ml water to 1 gram.
    Above formula says Potassium chloroplatinite, 1% sol 50 ml
    What is the meaning of this ? How much solution I can prepare with 1 gram and how many 6 x 17 cms positive bw tri x does it tone ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You can get the solutions ready to go...

http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/cart...1&cat=0&page=1

No clue how much toning you can do, my guess is that it'll last quite a while. Normally you lose a lot of fluid into the paper and the coatign brush or rod etc. when you do Pt prints. But for film, your losses should be very small.

But again... why? It's going to be a rather pricey endeavour. Why not Se tone? What do you expect Pt to do for your negs?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I will tone positives and I want them to be platin look. And loss is substantialy less. Faraway cheaper than the paper. And there is no such thing like platin negative or positive film. If you sell film , it is stronger than paper you can always contact print , roll and send with ups .
    Transparent medium , different light sources will make the viewing more exciting.
    As I said I will build a 6x17 cms anamorphic pinhole camera and it is sometimes excellent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ok well you really might consider the halochrome then.... that gives you the metallic glow that I guess you are after. You can tone both ways with the same kit: either black objects go silver or white objects go silver, you decide which you want. On film you get very cool reflective images with the effects depending quite a lot on the light and viewing angle, kind of vaguely reminiscent of a hologram. On paper it is not quite so dramatic.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I first here about halochrome from you. Sounds very interesting. I will google . Is it all about film or about print ? I think its about film otherwise you point it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin