Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,962   Posts: 1,558,314   Online: 998

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    Also depends what part of the world you're in. Winter time is usually not as good for IR film.

Jeff
    Not necessarily...it depends what you want to shoot. I like the treatment that infrared film gives old wood. There's an image in my gallery of a farmhouse shot in the middle of a Canadian winter (on HIE).

(edit: I seem to have a problem placing a photo in this post)
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even at night, especially if using flash (unless it's IR filtered), I think you will still want a filter if you want IR effects, otherwise you may as well use regular pan film at considerably less cost. But maybe IR effects aren't the goal -- is the intent to surreptitiously take pictures -- IR filter over the flash? Even then it won't be totally invisible. Note also that the current flavors of IR film will need approximately 6 stops of exposure beyond a metered reading, the stuff will be somewhat limited for any scene with action -- unless you use a pretty heavy flash.
    Last edited by DWThomas; 10-07-2010 at 09:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseontheloose View Post
    Not necessarily...it depends what you want to shoot. I like the treatment that infrared film gives old wood. There's an image in my gallery of a farmhouse shot in the middle of a Canadian winter (on HIE).

(edit: I seem to have a problem placing a photo in this post)
    I have to remember that.

Jeff

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    Also depends what part of the world you're in. Winter time is usually not as good for IR film.

Jeff

I would disagree (politely) with this statement. If the sun is at a lower angle, the IR component of visible light is actually greater due to UV filtration through the atmosphere.

I would also state that some of the best IR shots i have seen are taken during winter as the snow reflects IR well.

If there is a drawback, most deciduous trees have shed their leaves, but this is merely a change of aesthetic.

Respectfully,
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post
    I would disagree (politely) with this statement. If the sun is at a lower angle, the IR component of visible light is actually greater due to UV filtration through the atmosphere.

I would also state that some of the best IR shots i have seen are taken during winter as the snow reflects IR well.

If there is a drawback, most deciduous trees have shed their leaves, but this is merely a change of aesthetic.

Respectfully,
    I stand corrected, I geuss I never thought about that much!

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes it is a walking tour and I will be part of a group.

I will try out a film first beforehand - thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mooseontheloose View Post
    Is this a tour? Will you be part of a group?

I've never shot infrared at night so I can't really help you there, but I would definitely recommend shooting a test roll at night, around the same time frame, of lit (!) buildings or whatever else you plan to shoot beforehand (I imagine you won't need a filter -- there should be no need to block other spectrums of light at night since most of your sources should (hopefully!) have infrared light).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin