Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,042   Online: 898

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Newcomer to Infrared Film

I am about to start taking photographs using Infrared Film and Filter using a Manual SLR Camera.

I want to know technical information for taking infrared photographs including what aperture & shutter speeds you need to use in all lighting conditions (including late evening & night time).

Can you use a flash as the flash for my camera only works at 1/60th second?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG!

IR isn't really an "alternative process", but in the B&W film section there have been three recent threads about IR.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/7...0-rodinal.html
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/8...ued-light.html
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/7...first-try.html

Using an SLR means you have to keep popping the filter off to compose and focus (I recently realized as I ran a few rolls through my Bronica). Of course, the only available stuff is slow enough you'll want a tripod anyway.

Anyhow, cruise those threads and see if you have more questions. It's one of those areas where you have to experiment, because neither eyes nor meters share the same spectral range as the film.

DaveT
    Last edited by DWThomas; 10-07-2010 at 09:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome To APUG !

Ron

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________

Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
    Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.

July 23 1975 - June 3 2012

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To begin with, which infrared film are you using? What filter will you be using? Your question is far to open-ended for anyone to give you a meaningful answer without more information.

Generally speaking, the sun is your best source of infrared light -- which means when the sun is shining you have many things reflecting infrared light, and when it's not...well, not so much. It's possible to shoot in foggy or cloudy conditions but your exposures will be longer and the results will be more unpredictable and not necessarily what you think it will be. At night, the sun isn't shining (!) so there's no infrared light being reflected. There are other sources of infrared light (tungsten light bulbs, fire, etc), and you can make your own by putting an infrared filter over your flash (in which case you wouldn't need a filter on your lens)...but if you are just beginning I would recommend just starting simply and shoot objects in daylight (and keep track of your settings for each exposure) to see what works and what doesn't. There's a lot of information on the web that you should research first. Here are a couple of sites: one, two.

Also, welcome to APUG!
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    One thing to keep in mind as you look into IR film is that IR film is sensitive to near infrared or light just below what our eyes can see. Many get IR confused with heat, which would be called far infrared. Heat much farther down the spectrum and will not expose IR film.

It would behoove you get to know some light sources and what kind of light they produce. This will help you understand how IR film is exposed.

Best of luck
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also depends what part of the world you're in. Winter time is usually not as good for IR film.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm

More info

Thank you for your replies.

I will be using the Rollei Infrared 400 film and my filter is the Hoya R72 filter.

I was asking about evening photography as in a couple of weeks time I will be going on a ghost walk which starts at about 7.30pm & it is starting to get dark around that time.

Shooter
    35mm
    Am in the UK and it will still be October I will be using the film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You might want to read through this document.

http://www.mahn.net/DL_MAHN/TFIN606e.pdf
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by la_photographic View Post
    Thank you for your replies.

I will be using the Rollei Infrared 400 film and my filter is the Hoya R72 filter.

I was asking about evening photography as in a couple of weeks time I will be going on a ghost walk which starts at about 7.30pm & it is starting to get dark around that time.
    Is this a tour? Will you be part of a group?

I've never shot infrared at night so I can't really help you there, but I would definitely recommend shooting a test roll at night, around the same time frame, of lit (!) buildings or whatever else you plan to shoot beforehand (I imagine you won't need a filter -- there should be no need to block other spectrums of light at night since most of your sources should (hopefully!) have infrared light).
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin