Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,583   Posts: 1,545,780   Online: 1021

Shooter
    35mm RF

Red Filter an absolute requirement for Ilford SFX 200 InfraRed?

Hello all

I've just shot a roll of SFX200 and developed it with DD-X for 10:00 @20 deg (well, it was 20 deg when I poured the liquid in! God knows what it's temperature got up to by the tenth minute!)

Anyway, the film is drying up as I type but just a mere inspection of the negative shows me lots of black areas, they all look pretty dense. What went wrong there?

Also, I underrated the film to ASA 160. On top of that I didn't use any filtration. Is it compulsory to put on a normal red filter when shooting with SFX200?

Thanks,
    Rogerthat.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    No, red filter is not necessary, unless you want some IR effects.

Then you would need a deep red and to rate the film much slower.

Look at the shadows, this will tell you if you over exposed or simply over developed your film.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    35mm
    While SFX 200 will act as a normal film without filters, I found it grainy for 200 speed and unless I was intending to use at least a red and better still a SFX filter for a "IR type" effect, there are better films for non IR type shooting.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Alright, thanks guys! Will try out the filters.
    Regards,
    Marcus

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin