Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,056   Online: 959

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Tina Modotti's platinum formula?

So this has been killing me for the last hour or so:

I know that I have seen in a book at some point, Tina Modotti's formula for making platinum prints. My recollection is that it was in a book, or at least a section, that also mentioned Manuel Alvarez Bravo. I wrote the formula down, but have misplaced the notebook that it is in, and I cannot remember the source of the information. I believe that there was also a mention of what type of paper he was using, as he learned the formula from her.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else? Can someone please, please, please point me to the source of this information?

Best,
    Patrick
    My real name is Patrick, not Joe. Long Story.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Are you speaking of a coating formula? Interesting that she would be mixing coating when commercial platinum papers were still available. (As I recall her photographic work had pretty well ended by about 1930.)
    Wayne Lambert
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    www.waynelambert.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, Wayne - I thought in the same lines; I think she was most probably using commercial papers. That looks much more plausible to me... But I'm just speculating here, and Patrick says he had noted a formula somewhere...!???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Reading the daybooks EW said that at the Mexico days he was buying platinum coated papers from england, when he had enough money.
    Anyhoo what Patrick says also sounds familiar to me, but I cannot recall where I saw it.
    Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas
    http://imaginarymagnitude.net/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin