Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,884   Online: 966

Shooter
    35mm

Color balance For Gum Prints

Gum Printers

How do you achieve color balance for gum prints?

I am trying to do Tri-Color gum and can't seem to get a decent print. Most are to muddy in color after my 3 coatings.

I assume I just have to work with the individual pigment strengts to get the right set of pigment/gum strengths and also work with the exposure time to get a balance I like.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Bruce

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How are you making your separation negs?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Wasn't there an article on this on unblinkingeye or something? I think that person was using a hybrid workflow, and they had gotten the optimal curves to use with the process characteristics to prevent crossover etc.

As I recall the critical factor was that the bottom dye could be opaque, but the top two had to be translucent. Not sure of the dye nomenclature but if the top dyes are opaque you won't see the bottom ones.
    --Nicholas Andre

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    It takes a lot of research and trial and error to learn to do well with this process. The best information available is in Christina Anderson's book "Alternative Processes Condensed". She has done all the research and is a very thorough worker and teacher.
    As far as the negative separations are concerned again you have to work on the curves until they work for you. I have one former student who produces 3 color gums that look like paintings. It took her about 6 weeks of experimentation to get the curves the way she wanted them.
    Anyone who is successful with the process goes through the testing. You can not depend on someone else providing the answers for you.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    35mm

Color Balance For Gum Prints

I am using the same negatives that we used during the workshop so I know that is not the problem.

Bruce

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll second the recommendation for Christina Anderson's book. There are so many variables besides the negatives - the paper, the sizing, the pigments, the pigment/gum ratio. It's a frustrating, challenging, fascinating process. If you did a workshop, and got good results there, you'll have to figure out which variable(s) is(are) different.

Shooter
    35mm

Color Balance for Gum Prints

Jim and Sly

Yes, I have Chris's book, and took a wonderful workshop from her. I am now trying to get similar results at home. As you both said, there are many variable so I'll just keep printing until I get better results.

Thanks for the help.

Bruce

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dear Abby,

What pigments do you folks use, and where do you get them?

Ever tried dyes instead?

Curious in Lawrence

Shooter
    Multi Format
    holmburgers, I think water soluble colorants aren't suitable for gum dichromate; just picture the leeching of dyes in the development stage; the principle of gum dichromate is trapping "pigment" "particles" in the "poriferous structure" of hardened gum - induced by the action of light on dichromate...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wonder if there's a mordant that would make this feasible?

Anyways, I'm more interested in pigments as it is; longer life, no fade.

Thanks!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin