Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,124   Posts: 1,636,926   Online: 997

Page 6 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111216 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am pretty sure that 'Modern Carbon Printing' only deals with monochrome, as per a Sandy King (sanking) post from way back. I searched and found that out. I'll definitely try to get a hold of the other. Unfortunately my local biblioteque only has the "Modern..." one. However, I should double check myself as I could be mistaken.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andrea Zalme's website has a good overview of how she does color carbon. You need to go to Articles and then 'A Technique for Manufacturing Pre-Registered Carbon Tissue Suitable for Multi-Tone and Color Printing'. I don't think you must have all the equipment she uses, but it sure does look like a nice set-up.

http://www.andreazalme.com/Pages/Home/Home.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't forget color Bromoil!

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post

PE
    That's beyond masochism!
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer

PE
    Don't forget it!?

That's my long term target. Photographic watercolor with selective enhancement/removal. Just what I'm after.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Damn, color bromoil. I assume you've all heard of Bill Mortensen's metal-chrome process!??

http://www.thescreamonline.com/photo...mentnotes.html

R Shaffer, thanks for the link.. I've been there but never stumbled upon that specifically. Good instruction; though I find it rather amusing that she starts out by saying "I'm on an extremely limited budget" but she has all sorts of ridiculous apparatus that I would never buy. Some people.....
    Last edited by holmburgers; 11-17-2010 at 11:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Stupid question perhaps, but worth posing I think;

So by all accounts, enlarging to dichromated gelatin is impractical, but is it 100% impossible? What if you created a negative that you were not worried about subjecting to high amounts of UV, could you project with enough UV light to make it work? Maybe it would take many hours, but who knows. I know that glass absorbs a lot of UV, so a simpler lens would be better, maybe even a plastic lens. IDK, just curious.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Stupid question perhaps, but worth posing I think;

So by all accounts, enlarging to dichromated gelatin is impractical, but is it 100% impossible? What if you created a negative that you were not worried about subjecting to high amounts of UV, could you project with enough UV light to make it work? Maybe it would take many hours, but who knows. I know that glass absorbs a lot of UV, so a simpler lens would be better, maybe even a plastic lens. IDK, just curious.
    The Fresson process utilizes enlarged negatives with an extremely intense light source. It does take a long exposure (sometimes hours). Quality UV optics are not made from 'ordinary' optical glass - fused silica /quartz IIRC, rather pricy stuff.
    - Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now that's an idea, fuzed quartz lenses! I actually looked into fuzed quartz glass for a contact frame... quickly realized that it's not an option. That stuff is amazing, it can handle up to 1000° celsius.

This thread addresses the same idea... http://www.apug.org/forums/forum42/2...-35mm-neg.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Paper for Carbon Prints

This question could just as easily (and does) relate to monochrome carbon, but I'm curious about paper choices for the final transfer.

Nadeau says that a carbon print is only as archival as it's support, and goes on to say that RC papers cannot be considered truly archival. Why is this? What happens to RC papers in the long run?

Naturally, I will go with a high quality watercolor paper, but I'm just curious.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin