Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,463   Online: 935

Shooter
    Multi Format

What be a Step Tablet?

Hi,

Anyone care to educate a newb on this topic?

In about a week, I will be embarking on my first exposure to Alternative Processing. Being the inquisitive type, I've been reading various topics, e.g. contact prints, platinum/palladium, etc. and especially John Barnier's book "Coming into Focus."

Somewhere in my reading (not sure exactly), I came across mention of "Step Tablet." I've see references to Kodak and Stouffer Step Tablets but I'm not clear on what they are or how they are being used.

I have a feeling that as I become more involved with Alternatives Processing or anything having to do with photographic printing, Step Tablets are gonna become a necessity at some point.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does this help? http://www.stouffer.net/TransPage.ht...mission%20step

I just bought one. It arrived today.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Probably the most commonly used ones are the Stouffer T2115 and the T3110. The 2115 has 21 steps that vary by I/2 stop per step. The other has 31 steps that vary by 1/3 stop. For most purposes it doesn't matter which one you use. Stouffer also sells calibrated versions. The steps are read with a densitometer and the readings recorded on the envelope the tablet comes in. These are more expensive and are overkill for alt printing.

The tablet is included in the printing frame and exposed with your print. It gives data regarding exposure and the number of stops density range your process is getting.

Dan
    Daniel Williams
    Enumclaw WA USA

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Dwain,

A step tablet is one of the most essential tools you will ever purchase and hopefully learn to use for alternative processes. I would recommend a 31 step step tablet. It doesn't need to be calibrated. The Barnier book is a good reference.

You should develop (no pun intended) the habit of printing a step tablet each time you start learning an alt process and afterward anytime you make a major change to your workflow or when things go south and you need to verify the validity of a process your are using.

The 3110 is handy because it will show you to within a 1/3 of a stop the density range of the materials and process you are using.

The step tablet is a very simple tool that many alternative process beginners ignore, dismiss or forget.

I'd purchase at least two to start with in case one gets wasted at a critical time.

Don Bryant
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga View Post
    I'd purchase at least two to start with in case one gets wasted at a critical time.
    Ditto, s* happens!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by donbga View Post
    Dwain,

A step tablet is one of the most essential tools you will ever purchase and hopefully learn to use for alternative processes. I would recommend a 31 step step tablet. It doesn't need to be calibrated. The Barnier book is a good reference.

You should develop (no pun intended) the habit of printing a step tablet each time you start learning an alt process and afterward anytime you make a major change to your workflow or when things go south and you need to verify the validity of a process your are using.

The 3110 is handy because it will show you to within a 1/3 of a stop the density range of the materials and process you are using.

The step tablet is a very simple tool that many alternative process beginners ignore, dismiss or forget.

Don Bryant
    Excellent! - just the response I was looking for.

Thanks Don

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin