Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,487   Online: 1011

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

New Richeson brush question

Hopefully my photo attaches. It shows what happens to my old Da Vinci Brushes. I have gone through 5 of them now. I wonder what I can do to not have that happen to my new Richeson. It seems to have a higher quality ferrule. Does anyone or everyone coat the ferrule?
    thanks Dennis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New-brush.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is that a coating you put on the ferrule?

I have a Richeson 9010 I have been using for a few years, mostly kallitype and some pd as well. The bristles near the ferrule have a similar stain, but the ferrule is in far far better condition. Slight corrosion. I did not put any protective coating on the ferrule.

Nice brush, is that a 3"? I picked up one the 3" Sterling brushes from B&S. It's works just fine, but does not have the feel of the Richeson.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by R Shaffer View Post
    Is that a coating you put on the ferrule?
    Yes I have always coated the Da Vinci. One of those pictured is coated with fingernail polish and the other is an experiment with Rubber Cement.
    Actually the Da Vinci brushes still work fine but they are so ugly!!

thanks
    Dennis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dpurdy View Post
    Hopefully my photo attaches. It shows what happens to my old Da Vinci Brushes. I have gone through 5 of them now. I wonder what I can do to not have that happen to my new Richeson. It seems to have a higher quality ferrule. Does anyone or everyone coat the ferrule?
    thanks Dennis
    I've coated the ferrules of my Da Vinci brushes with brushed on Plasti-Dip (http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip). I tend not to with the Richesons.

But whichever brush I use, after coating I rinse it with distilled water and immediately dry it with a paper shop towel.
    Keith Taylor
    Platinum, Photogravure and Historic Process Editions
    Website | Weblog | Google+ | Facebook
    2011 Minnesota Center for Book Arts/Jerome Foundation Mentorship Program recipient

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice art work there Denis
    I have heard about dipping the brush in two component epoxy but have no yet had the courage to try it. The ferule on the Richeson brush will eventaully also start to show some rust if not prepped. Great brush though.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Project Basho was selling some handmade synthetic brushes similar to a hake brush. These are made in Japan. I should probably purchase some but my Richeson brushes are holding up.
    Don Bryant

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the DaVinci brushes for pt/pd and have never had problems with rusting or corrosion after hundreds of prints. Are you dipping the whole brush including the ferrule into the solution? Or soaking the brush in water up to the handle? No offense, but you need to take better care of them...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I generally use a total of 48 drops of combined FO and Pd/Pt for an 8x10 print. I am not sure how I would dip my entire brush in. But then you are trying to be funny I guess.
    No offense but if you have nothing useful to add. don't.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not trying to be funny at all, just wondering how the brush gets so trashed. Those brushes are expensive...!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I mount my Richeson brush with a japanese brush handle like that no metal at all and brush is much lighter.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Richeson améliorée.JPG  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin