Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,442   Online: 934

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

Paper flatness after coating

Hi all. I recently bought some Cranes paper from B&S to use for pt/pd printing. It arrived and was to my surprise only 120 gsm (very thin). When I coat it it becomes all ”wavy” and it is more or less impossible to get good contact between paper and negative. Any ideas on how to get it flat again?
    N O Mennescio
    Spatial Nihilist

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You could try the watercolour artists method of of preparing their paper by pre-shrinking it on a board.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your best bet for better print quality and relief of flattening issues is to buy some of their COT320. It is a much better, heavier weight paper. Or invest in a vacuum frame. You probably don't want to pre-shrink platinotype because it loses its nice finish and a lot of the minimal sizing it contains.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A tip I got here was to attach the paper to a board with washout tape. It works VERY well. And, after development if it goes wavy again, you can just rewet, reapply the tape, dry, and it works!

You do have to cut the tape off, so plan for a margin....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Images
    What is washout tape?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Images
    yeah, what's wash out tape? I've been using Seal's releasable sheets with good luck...not too releaseable though.

Happy Days
    You can't be lost if you don't care where you are.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It is also called watercolor tape. It is basically brown paper tape that has an adhesive side. Dunk it in water and the adhesive becomes active. When it dries, it sticks hard. When wet, it "washes out". Very useful trick. I think Aggie turned me on to it.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Better yet. Stop using Kid Finish and use Cranes Platinotype instead.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kennedy
    It is also called watercolor tape. It is basically brown paper tape that has an adhesive side. Dunk it in water and the adhesive becomes active. When it dries, it sticks hard. When wet, it "washes out". Very useful trick. I think Aggie turned me on to it.
    That's what I told him to do but it wasn't well received, although it's worked for the watercolour brigade for many years. The worst that can happen if this method is tried is the loss of a sheet of paper. It's the same method that I use for preventing drydown with FB paper prints.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Images
    Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately the taping down only works if the whole paper is equally wet. I would rather not coat a larger area than necessary.
    But thanks anyway.
    N O Mennescio
    Spatial Nihilist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin