Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,450   Posts: 1,570,092   Online: 840

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    I admire Maggie Taylor's work as well. One of my girlfriend's favorite shows is "Ghost Whisperer," which features Maggie's work while the opening credits run.

She is also married to Jerry Uelsmann. So see, digital and analog photographers can coexist!
    When I watched Ghost Whisperer, I really liked that opening sequence and wondered how to do something like that. I had no idea it was Maggie Taylor.

I also think that if they're trying so hard to copy traditional looks, why not just do it the traditional way? It's always going to be a copy and not the actual technique.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've not heard her talk about exactly how she makes her work, so I'm not sure, but to me, I don't even know where photography enters in to what she does. She's a brilliant illustrator, but I can't even see the photographs in it, it's so heavily manipulated.

I didn't know she was married to Jerry Uelsmann, but having both of them represented at Modernbook now makes more sense.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Thanks for the Modern Book link

Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I've not heard her talk about exactly how she makes her work, so I'm not sure, but to me, I don't even know where photography enters in to what she does. She's a brilliant illustrator, but I can't even see the photographs in it, it's so heavily manipulated.

I didn't know she was married to Jerry Uelsmann, but having both of them represented at Modernbook now makes more sense.
    Thanks for the link! Never heard of the gallery. I'm a photography lover that lives only 80 miles away. I'm going to SF in a couple of weeks staying at a hotel near by. I'm going to the gallery.

Even though her work is heavily manipulated, her work has a certain sincerity to it. I think her work would be very difficult without a computer so I hope APUGers can give her a break on using digital media.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

One of the reasons...

Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    When I watched Ghost Whisperer, I really liked that opening sequence and wondered how to do something like that. I had no idea it was Maggie Taylor.

I also think that if they're trying so hard to copy traditional looks, why not just do it the traditional way? It's always going to be a copy and not the actual technique.
    One of the reason they want to do traditional works digitally are the hazards of handling chemicals. But that's part of the craft isn't it? I love the imperfections of hand coated plates and prints. For me, digital is to perfect. Too canned. I think traditional alternative processes allows "imperfections" as part of the media because the human hand was involved. The irony is that the imperfections on a computer has to be created. The added bonus of this cookie-cutter age for computer artist is that the perfections can be duplicated exactly every time. I don't find that appealing at all. Maggie Taylor is one exception for me.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    well to my eye, people like Maggie Taylor are using the very strongest aspects of digital imaging to create their art. I assume that many digital imaging artists often begin with a photograph, and then combine it with elements of other photographs and/or with other digital manipulations to produce the final product. I This is why I like to refer to it as "digital imaging" instead of "photography." And to some of the art as "illustrations" rather than "photographs," when the final product has departed so far from the original photograph that, as was said, it can no longer be seen.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    I have that issue and as, alt process printer, I couldn't even ready that article. It just came across as incredibly depressing. What's the point, if it's done digitially you will always be able to tell. It just feels fake and pathetic.
    It's like do you want to eat a Betty Crocker cake (full of chemicals) of make that trip to the bakery and get the real thing! I'm sorry, in my opinion digital prints will always be second rate.

david

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hadeer View Post
    I am not opposed to using hybrid processes, e.g. using a digitally prepared negative for gum printing. I wonde, however, why so many articles propose mimicking analog processes. It will always be a copy, not the real thing. Rather, digital should develop its own unique ways of expression. I think it's another medium.
    Expression is expression, the clean 'digital' look is actualy the film look of many early colour photography examples.

Photography is photography, if it is being valued as art, then only the expression itself (the intrinsic artistic value) is important - how you got there is not of relevance to the intrinsic artistic value.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo View Post
    Those who say it's only about the image...
    Art is expression.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I think how the print is represented

Quote Originally Posted by davido View Post
    I have that issue and as, alt process printer, I couldn't even ready that article. It just came across as incredibly depressing. What's the point, if it's done digitially you will always be able to tell. It just feels fake and pathetic.
    It's like do you want to eat a Betty Crocker cake (full of chemicals) of make that trip to the bakery and get the real thing! I'm sorry, in my opinion digital prints will always be second rate.

david
    I think that it's ok if the digital prints are represented as such. But the real thing is better than a digital knock off. But it takes educated collectors to know the difference.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    They are talented photographers, but I was very disappointed when I saw the article. Mimicing another process somehow seems a bit unoriginal....sort of applying an "oil paint" filter in photoshop to mimic an oil painting. You could do that and it certainly is easier than learning to oil paint, but is it really art at that point? It certainly will never be better than the real thing. They did put out a nice toning and alternative process book before they started with digital......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin