Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,158   Online: 1102

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Silvershotz magazine

I just picked up volume 6 edition 6 of Silvershotz magazine. I think it's a beautiful publication. In this edition, there's an article "Darkroom to Lightroom, exploring Ways of Mimicking Alternative Processes" by Ray Spence and Tony Worobiec. Excellent article. As you probably can guess, it's article on mimicking these processes digitally. There's a brief explaination on what the old process is then it goes on how to get the look using Photoshop and an inkjet printer. I just started doing cyanotypes and I'm not sure you could "mimic" the process. I think digital is too repeatable and is missing the element of chance. I don't have a problem using ink jet film to enlarge an image for alternative processes, however I'm ambivalent about imitating old photo processes. What are your opinion about this subject?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    I don't have a problem using ink jet film to enlarge an image for alternative processes, however I'm ambivalent about imitating old photo processes. What are your opinion about this subject?
    Those who say it's only about the image might also be happy with a knock-off Rolex they can buy cheaply on the street in a large city. It may fool you superficially, but, as an artifact, it will always betray itself eventually.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am not opposed to using hybrid processes, e.g. using a digitally prepared negative for gum printing. I wonde, however, why so many articles propose mimicking analog processes. It will always be a copy, not the real thing. Rather, digital should develop its own unique ways of expression. I think it's another medium.
    Have you seen the light..?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am not opposed to using hybrid processes, e.g. using a digitally prepared negative for gum printing. I wonde, however, why so many articles propose mimicking analog processes. It will always be a copy, not the real thing. Rather, digital should develop its own unique ways of expression. I think it's another medium.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by hadeer View Post
    Beautifully articulated.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Imitation, the old saying goes, is the most sincere form of flattery. You are correct: digital imaging is a different medium than traditional photography, and its practitioners should utilize its unique aspects to create unique images. But it seems that every photography magazine has one or more articles on duplicating traditional techniques. It sort of reminds me of how some early photographers attempted to imitate painterly effects.

I continue to believe that the explosive growth of digitally-imaged art, coupled with the fact that nearly everyone now owns a digital camera and computer (leading to the assumption that digital imaging is "easier" and that "I could do that"), increases the monetary and intrinsic value of traditional photography.
    Last edited by Dan Henderson; 11-08-2010 at 06:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Is this an example?

I love the work of Maggie Taylor. I don't consider her a photographer, but more of an illustrator. None of the less, her work is done digitally and clearly stated so.

http://www.vervegalleryofphotography...biography&a=MT

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I love the work of Maggie Taylor. I don't consider her a photographer, but more of an illustrator. None of the less, her work is done digitally and clearly stated so.

Interesting work. Would be hard to realize using classic techniques. I think it indeed is a good exemple of the new possibilities digital provides. Tried a hand of it myself a few years ago but it did not satisfy me, others do it better. Now I do what I think I can do best: catch the light and shadow of landscapes and scenes and people that come on my way. On film, that is.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    Imitation, the old saying goes, is the most sincere form of flattery. .... But it seems that every photography magazine has one or more articles on duplicating traditional techniques.
    It sort of makes you wish you could find the magazine they are copying.

John Powers

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

I admire Maggie Taylor's work as well. One of my girlfriend's favorite shows is "Ghost Whisperer," which features Maggie's work while the opening credits run.

She is also married to Jerry Uelsmann. So see, digital and analog photographers can coexist!

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin