Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 76,384   Posts: 1,683,144   Online: 995

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UV Sources

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Check out this link. It shows plans for a UV box.

http://www.thinktink.com/stack/volum...amp/uvlamp.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're going to build your own UVBL lightsource, you'd better opt for "electronic" ballasts. They're more productive (higher refresh rate, less flicker, more energy output per given exposure time...) and they keep the bulbs in good shape for a longer time (thanks to complex - microprocessor controlled - start routines).

Just my 2c.
    Regards,
    Loris.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    Check this out...

http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Light/light.html

I use several different types of UV light. Self ballasted reflector mercury vapor lamps make for a nice portable system -- I use a 450W and a 750W bulb, but I don't see them in in the catalogs anymore, so they may be hard to find. This is the type I use for carbon printing. I use the "pizza oven" style of light (box of black-light tubes) for pt/pd.

The type of lamp and its strength can affect sharpness, contrast, and printing time.

There are also these single self-contained Blacklights -- plug in and expose -- but you would need perhaps 5 or 6 for an 8x10.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

But there are also other flourence bulb fixutures you can buy ready to go -- just buy the blacklight tubes. There are two types -- BL and BLB. Not much difference in UV output, but the BLB has a more expensive visible light filter built in (the BL's are white like regular tubes)
    Vaughn-

I use six of those fixtures to expose up to 16x20. Contrary to popular belief, the tubes do not have to be a fraction of an inch apart to provide even coverage. I have them screwed to the bottom of a shelf in an IKEA adjustable shelving unit. The next shelf down is about six inches below the shelf with the bulbs attached, which puts my contact frame's glass about 1" - 1 1/2" from the bulbs. I typically get 6-7 minute exposures for pt/pd printing, and it looks like I'm in the sub 5 for gum bichromate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I went to the pet store last night and they have an awesome selection of bulbs. The beauty is; they all present the UV output on the package! The Repti-Glo Desert light seemed to have the best output. I don't know and haven't yet checked how this compares to black-light bulbs or whatever, but it's something to consider.

To make the best choice, we need to know what slice of the spectrum our material is most sensitive to.

How about dichromated gelatin, what is it's peak sensitivity?
    Last edited by holmburgers; 11-10-2010 at 11:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    depending on what you need ...
    you can get an old contact printer and just change the bulbs
    ( that is what i did ) or you can get a facial tanner
    and build a box for it ( that is what i did ) ...

either way it is not too expensive and it works ..

good luck !
    john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post

How about dichromated gelatin, what is it's peak sensitivity?
    360-400 nm
    - Ian

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Leest View Post
    I use sometimes the good old sun. And it shines for free !
    Not around here it doesn't - at least not this time of year!

I use a growlight. A sodium one - seems to work, as long as my wife isn't using it for jumpstarting plants in the early spring...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post
    Not around here it doesn't - at least not this time of year!
    And here, even though we are just under half way between the equator and the North Pole, we get a lot of rain and fog -- and I do 99% of my print making after the sun sets.

Another thing about the banks of BL (or BLB) tubes -- one does not gain anything by moving the contact printing frame closer to the bulbs...6 inches away can be just as fast as 3 inches away.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Does anyone have a PDF of the John Edwards exposure unit ? The link to it from old threads is no longer valid.
    Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Karl,
    The link to Edwards is [U]http://www.eepjon.com/

[url]http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/
    Last edited by jeffreyg; 11-12-2010 at 07:33 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin