Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,817   Posts: 1,581,640   Online: 771

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by vickersdc View Post
    You will keep us all posted about how you get on with this new project won't you? I, for one, am very interested...

Best wishes,
    David.
    Will Do! as soon as i get the dark room up and running, i'll try to find out the availability of the chemicals needed.
    I'm currently trying to find out how to make my own wet plate holder, as trying to find a used holder to modify will be next to impossible.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    What sort of filmholder size are you looking for?
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    http://www.lundphotographics.com/

May be able to help you with holders/supplies.

Attached is wetplate made of me by a friend using a Holga.

Bostick & Sullivan in Santa Fe, NM has supplies.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BillB wetplate copy.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    if i go the enlarger way i think the smallest size i'd want is whole plate (6.5" x 8.5") as it is big enough for a positive image compared to 4x5.

thanks for the link Nsurit, that picture of you is what i imagine i want to shoot, nice!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    after a quick check looks like i can get mavidon collodion USP from a local distributor, just emailed them for confirmation. if true than thats one ingredient solved!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All this talk of wetplate images... I want to build another camera anyway, the actual body of which is not a problem, but does anyone know where I can find out a bit more about the wetplate backs? I don't think that constructing one would be too difficult (I'm really fortunate to have a fairly well stocked workshop ), but I need to find out what I'm trying to build!
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The great and glorious thing about wet plate backs is that A: there is no standard T-distance from the lip to the focal plane, and B: because there's no standard distance, you don't need tight tolerances. Most purpose-built wet plate cameras have square backs, and the plate holders have inserts that allow for vertical or horizontal plate positioning without having to rotate the holder and/or the camera back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can adapt a standard LF filmholder to accept a wet plate and then use it in your LF camera. See my first post for someone who will do it for you. Lundphotographics.com.

Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the answers...

Bill: I don't have any LF filmholders (any more) and I'll be making my own back - I want to make one anyway for dry-plate usage, so I might as well do another for wet-plate too.

Scott: from what I've seen so far, the wet-plate back has a darkslide, an opening that only holds the plates by the corners, with the plate placed into position from the rear. Presumably there is some form of pressure applied to the plate via a flat spring. Oh, and some additional 'depth' to capture the silver. Does that just about sum up what there is? Or do I need to know more!

Cheers,
    David.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    David, if you want something smaller for wetplate, I have a few spare Fidelity 12x16,5 cm holders. Drop me a line if you are interested.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin