Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,821   Online: 853

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    i too are now interested to build my own camera david i got a how to ebook by Jon Grepstad, and now trying it out in sketchup (google 3D app).
    I would be interested in your plans for the wet plate holder, if it's ok i want to copy it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    David, if you want something smaller for wetplate, I have a few spare Fidelity 12x16,5 cm holders. Drop me a line if you are interested.
    Jerevan,

That is an amazingly kind offer, but I am intent on building my own from start to finish! Having recently finished my sliding box camera, I've got ideas floating around my head on what to make next - to be honest, the biggest issue is time as I'm currently studying for my degree as well as holding down a full-time job, maintain the house and keep the wife happy

Thanks for the lovely offer though.
    David.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daveandiputra View Post
    i too are now interested to build my own camera david i got a how to ebook by Jon Grepstad, and now trying it out in sketchup (google 3D app).
    I would be interested in your plans for the wet plate holder, if it's ok i want to copy it.
    Yes, no problems... although if you get the plans before me, can you send me them! I've just bought a little brass rapid symmetrical lens that I'm going to build the camera around, and once I've done a bit more homework into the wetplate holder, I'll share the information with you.

Cheers,
    David.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah, I figured that you'd say "can do myself", David!
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerevan View Post
    Yeah, I figured that you'd say "can do myself", David!
    Tools + Enthusiasm = Sawdust

Thank you.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by vickersdc View Post
    Yes, no problems... although if you get the plans before me, can you send me them! I've just bought a little brass rapid symmetrical lens that I'm going to build the camera around, and once I've done a bit more homework into the wetplate holder, I'll share the information with you.

Cheers,
    David.
    will do david this will be my first time so i think it gonna be a long time before it get done.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks for the answers...

Scott: from what I've seen so far, the wet-plate back has a darkslide, an opening that only holds the plates by the corners, with the plate placed into position from the rear. Presumably there is some form of pressure applied to the plate via a flat spring. Oh, and some additional 'depth' to capture the silver. Does that just about sum up what there is? Or do I need to know more!

Cheers,
    David.
    That about covers the basics. In modern holders, it's usually a square box with a darkslide in front, a latching hinged door in the back with some kind of spring to put pressure on the photographic plate, and one or more plexiglass inserts with corners to hold the plate. You don't really need a lot of extra depth to capture the silver - while the plate is wet, and it will drip silver nitrate, it's not like you're carrying a soaked paper towel. You'll probably want to keep an old hair towel or tea towel on hand to support the plate holder so it doesn't drip on the floor while you're transporting it from silver bath to camera, and remember to wipe down the plexiglass and the interior of the plate holder between each plate to avoid contamination.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been doing some more looking around, and I now have a pretty good idea of what I want to build - based on some original C19th cameras. The camera will be another sliding box camera, with rise and fall on the front (just like the one I've just finished), and then the camera back will be a slide-in affair so that the wetplate back will slide in at the top after the ground glass has been removed.

Now I just need the time...
    Last edited by vickersdc; 11-30-2010 at 06:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daveandiputra View Post
    I've sketched out the camera back and nested box (inner) on Google Sketchup if you're interested? I'm just about to start on the actual wetplate holder...

Thank you.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've sketched out the camera back and nested box (inner) on Google Sketchup if you're interested? I'm just about to start on the actual wetplate holder...
    of course david can you send it to my email? adninzain(at)gmail(dot)com many thanks..

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin