Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,739   Posts: 1,515,536   Online: 1079

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

interested in wetplate collodions

Hi All, after seeing the documentary "genius of photography" i became interested on trying in the alternative processes like Daguerrotypes and colodion, although Daguerreotypes which requires pure silver might be to expensive and advance for me that made the collodion and tintype more interesting.

what i gather is i need a large format camera and the chemicals. the chemicals i can search and there's the how to articles on http://www.alternativephotography.com

now for the camera, maybe someone knowledgeable with the process can guide me on the right camera with my small budgets of maybe around US$300 for the camera and all its accessories (lens, holder, etc). and i'm hoping for at least 8x10 size, as i'm more interested on positive image.

thanks all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You do not need to use a large format camera, although you may find it preferable. Many start with an old Kodak Brownie with is modified to accept a plate holder. Any large format camera can be used with the appropriate holder and many like to start small to save money. I'm new to the process and bit the bullet and purchased a new 5X7 wet plate camera (made by Ty Guillory of Texas) that has both 5X7 and half-plate holders. I can easily add quarter-plate or even sixteenth-plate if I desire.

Shooter
    Holga
    Images
    If you don't have a large format camera you can do Ambrotypes. I took a workshop learning how to make these using an enlarger. You coat the wetplate negatives and then expose them under an enlarger. when they're dry you paint the other side black and you have yourself an Ambrotype. You can use original images from any format you want.

david

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The first place I would send you for more information on doing wet plate would be to the wet plate forum - www.collodion.com . I'd also recommend the Kodak Brownie (or any other similar box camera) as a starting point. They're very cheap and easy to work with. If you start going down the view camera path, you'll have to have a bigger budget than $300.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi, I've just started with wet plate collodion, shooting on an old half plate camera.
    Not sure what you can get hold of in Indonesia. Plenty of stuff on ebay if you dont mind paying the postage.
    The forums mentoned above are very useful.
    I have some small posts on my blog if your interested
    link to blog

Shooter
    35mm RF
    thanks for all the response guys..
    LF stuffs are not easy to find here, but i did saw what i think is a graflex (don't know the specific model), can that be converted to use as a wetplate camera? i'm betting the price can be very low as very few LF shooter as far as i know.
    the enlarger approach does sound interesting, but my darkroom is still suspension as i just moved. I think that will be a very great starting point.
    hopefully i can start this project soon, many thanks for the links and help!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Any camera can be used as a wet plate camera if you really want to enough - even a 35mm SLR if you're REALLY crazy (but don't count on the shutter lasting very long - silver nitrate is corrosive). So yes, the Graflex can be used for wet plate - you'd just need to convert one film holder into a plate holder, which isn't hard to do yourself, or you can find people who make and sell them online.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ...or make your own camera...?
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by vickersdc View Post
    ...or make your own camera...?
    actually that idea already came across but don't think it's feasible now david
    looks like the enlarger approach will be nice introductory to wet plates...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by daveandiputra View Post
    actually that idea already came across but don't think it's feasible now david
    looks like the enlarger approach will be nice introductory to wet plates...
    You will keep us all posted about how you get on with this new project won't you? I, for one, am very interested...

Best wishes,
    David.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin