Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,533   Posts: 1,544,002   Online: 1029

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Liquid Emulsion To Make 'Tintype' Positive

Hi all,

After finishing my little sliding box camera I want to have a go at something a little different. I've previously tried using Fotospeed LE30 liquid emulsion but completely loused it up! Anyway, that was in the past ;0)

I've got some tin laying around in the workshop and I'd like to make a positive image on it. I've cut a piece to suit the 9x12 holders (unfortunately even the 2mm glass I used to use for glass negatives doesn't fit in my plate holders, and the tin is thin enough to use).

I've cleaned it up, and sprayed it black, and now I'd like to coat it with liquid emulsion. If I expose this in-camera (under-expose and under-develop) will I be able to get anything like a positive-looking image? Or does it just not work this way? (Development would be with ID-11, or anything that you might recommend). Does the addition of ammonium thia-something-or-other help?

Cheers,
    David.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi david

you might add some speed fixer to your developer and use a bleach of some sort to
    bleach back the blacks ( white in your negative on the plate ) to be a cream color.
    rockland colloid sells a tin type kit that does just this ... i have one, but haven't had
    a chance to use it yet ( too many things on my plate right now ).

have fun !

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What is the purpose of adding fixer to the developer? Any ideas on how much to mix in?

Cheers,
    David.
    Creative Image Maker e-magazine is back! Find out more at http://creativeimagemaker.blogspot.com

Thank you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi david

i think the purpose is to purposely underdevelop the film and by turning the developer into a monobath.
    it weakens and exhausts it prematurely ... but i am just guessing ...

i am not sure exactly how much to add, it might take a bit of trial and error ..
    or check out the rockland colloid website and try to figure out from their msd-sheets what amount of
    fix / bleach they use ...

sorry i can't be more help ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin