Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,992   Online: 974

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok, so now I have to find ascorbic acid and all I get are blank looks when I ask at the pharmacies. Right now I am looking in the coffee isle and getting th Folgers Classic Roast.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Over here they sell Nescafe Robusta, its not cheap.

But over at the real-cheap-and-overstock store they sell cheap instant coffee, Its labeled office use or something similar.
    Black as death, even in the glass container. Smells like old burned shoes and tastes like burned acids.
    Thats the stuff you want!

ep

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ascorbic acid : I found mine in a health store in Denmark.

"Powder. marked 100% ascorbic acid"

The lady in the healt food store here said she was no fan of ascorbic acids, apparently not good for your stomac. I sounded her about sodium ascorbate, she did not advocate that either. Well there are other stores.

I found sodium ascorbate in a pharmacy (had to order it)

Sodium ascorbate is the active ingredient that is the net result of the reaction between soda and ascorbic acid (the solution turns light yellow green)

My next project is toi test out 100% pure sodium ascorbate instead of ascorbic acid, and see if theres any difference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Prestmo View Post
    Sodium ascorbate is the active ingredient that is the net result of the reaction between soda and ascorbic acid (the solution turns light yellow green)
    Sodium ascorbate should be colorless. Being a light yellow green indicates that there is something else present. At one time all I could get was ascorbic acid with rose hips. I worked well but my developer was a lovely pink color.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 11-24-2010 at 07:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A very pure form of sodiun carbonate can be made from baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) which should be available in most grocery stores. In the US food grade sodium bicarbonate is marked USP which means pharmacutical grade. In the presence of heat the following reaction takes place. Do not confuse baking soda with baking powder which contains other chemicals.

2NaHCO3 ----> Na2CO3 + H2O + CO2

Place the sodium bicarbonate in a shallow glass or stainless pan and bake for about 1 hour in a moderate oven (in US that is 350 F). Stir the bicarbonate every 15 minutes. The crystalline bicarbonate will turn to a fluffy white powder which is anhydrous sodium carbonate. Heating longer will not hurt anything but make sure it all turns to a white powder. Allow the sodium carbonate to cool a bit before storing in a well sealed jar as it will absorb moisture and become the monohyrate. You can also do this over a burner in a pot but it tends to splatter over the stove if the layer of bicarbonate is too deep.
    Last edited by Gerald C Koch; 11-24-2010 at 07:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    Ok, so now I have to find ascorbic acid and all I get are blank looks when I ask at the pharmacies. Right now I am looking in the coffee isle and getting th Folgers Classic Roast.
    In my experience, most supermarkets have some vitamin C crystals (vitamin C == ascorbic acid) in amongst the bottles of vitamin tablets. It may be prudent to measure it by weight rather than volume, though, since the granularity of the crystals varies---e.g., I'm pretty sure the fine stuff that looks like coc^H^H^Hpowdered sugar is denser than the coarser stuff that looks like granulated sugar.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Sodium ascorbate should be colorless. Being a light yellow green indicates that there is something else present.
    Well of course there is! We're (all) using washing soda! Who said that is chemically pure?

And the ascorbic acid is calle E300 and is sold as a food additive, who knows what is inside? BUT! the powder is at least 10 to 100 times more pure than the Vit C tablets or the stuff originall posted here....

The yellow green is interesting: I mix this way, tonite I needed 1,5 litre for 3 tanks (0,5 litre each) I weigh out and mix 54 x 1,5 gram of soda, 16 x 1,5 gram of Vitamine C and 40 x 1,5 times coffee and dissolve each in a container of 0,5 litres of water.

The soda takes a while to dissolve.... Vit-C and coffee is easier.

After all is dissolved I mix the soda with Vit-C (color change) and then add coffee to get 1,5 litres.

I never noticed any color change when I dissolved soda and then added Vit-C crystals directly in the solution (the concentration of all chemicals would of course be lower in the total amount of water).

After I add the coffee everything is black as sin of corse!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nathan I have absolutely NO concept of how coc^H^H^H powder looks like! Honest!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    joel

look for either folgers or the cheapest rot gut instant coffee you can find.
    the vit C might be the hardest thing to locate. if you have a natural food store
    they will probably have it, if you have a trader joe's they have it and its dirt cheap.
    your local 24hour pharma may have it too. when i was overseas i had to buy some things
    through a pharmacy ...

i eyeball amounts of my powders ... originally i didn't, but i haven't noticed the difference ... :outlaw:
    have fun !

john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    Ok, so now I have to find ascorbic acid and all I get are blank looks when I ask at the pharmacies.
    I hope it wasn't the pharmacist giving you blank looks. That would be very scary.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin